INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Seeking Information about Outdoor Amusment Co.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Seeking Information about Outdoor Amusment Co.
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I'm digging into Missouri's bowhunting/archery history and I would appreciate any information anyone may have on Outdoor Amusment Co. AKA Osage Archery Tackle.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seeking Information about Outdoor Amusment Co.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I was hoping a seasoned collector would have more information on Paul Gordon of Outdoor Amusement Co., Kansas City, Mo. Paul worked for L. E. Stemmler in the 1920's, that much I have found, but I'm really interested in Outdoor Amusement Co., Kansas City, Mo. AKA Osage Archery Tackle.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I have had quite a few longbows with that marking and may have a few around here yet. Never saw anything other than longbows with that marking. I am guessing 1950's on the ones I had/have as they had black glass on the front. I also have some marked Outdoor Sports Mfg. Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
wadde...I've found documentation that they made arrows and broadheads. But I didn't know about the bows. Thanks for that info.

I know of one Outdoor Amusment Co. AKA Osage Archery Tackle catalog, late 20's or maybe early 1930's, in the hands of an unknown collector. I'm trying to trace this one down, but if any historian knows of another. I would appreciate the info.

Bowdoc....do you remember who you sold yours to?
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Outdoor Sports mfg. is the parent company of York archery, and they were based in Independence MO, I don't know if they had any connection with Outdoor Amusement Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:31:00 AM »
Another Missouri company I would like to find more information about.

Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
OOOPS!  My mistake, the parent company of York is Woodcraft Equipment Co. as seen above.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Rick,  I happened to look at your thread again and noted Paul Gordon's name and the fact that Paul had worked for L. E. Stemmler caught my eye.  

Paul H. Gordon [1902-1946] wrote "The New Archery. Hobby, Sport and Craft" in 1939 followed by a reprint in 1943.  The latter edition was published during the war years and Fred Lake in his "A Bibliography on Archery" only records two private copies.  The dust jacket on Gordon's book shows a photo of him examining an arrow while standing in front of his extensive collection of archery books.  

At some point, Gordon had his own tackle company, and I believe the name was the Beacon Craftsmen [or something similar] -- somewhere, I have one or two of Gordon's small tackle catalogs.

His book "The New Archery..." was very popular and discusses the making of tackle including bows and arrows.  

One of the things that I like best about the book is his extensive archery book bibliography at the end of the book.  Most of the books were in his personal collection and eventually, the collection went to the New York Public Library.  He had some very rare titles in the collection.  

He mentioned one title that he could of acquired but failed to act quickly enough and it was sold.  I've missed a few myself by not acting quickly enough.

The title was "Anecdotes of Turkish Archery" [actually this was a manuscript].  At one time the mss. had been in the library of Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey [the crossbow historian], who wrote "The Crossbow" in 1903.  

It had been procured by Sir Robert Ainslie and translated by Ainslie's interpreter at the request of Sir Joseph Banks, Baronet, 1797 [Banks and his sister Sophia were well known in archery circles in England in the late 1700's and early 1800's].  Sophia formed a huge collection of ephemera on archery including archery club rule books and ribbons that are now in the British Library.  Many years ago, my wife and I visited the British Library and were able to examine Sophia's collection first hand.

When Fred Lake came to the U.S. to compile his bibliography on archery, he visited many libraries and found that the Ainslie manuscript was in the New York Racquet and Tennis Club Library in NYC.

With Stemmler and Griswold, he co-authored "Making Bows and Arrows: The What and How of Archery," published in Denver, CO as part of the Little Looseleaf Library for Boys' Workers Everywhere series, No. 17 in 1926.  This is really a rare publication.  Paul Gordon also co-authored with Stemmler - "The Archery Workshop" in 1929 - another scarce title.

I did not know that Paul Gordon was ever associated with the Outdoor Amusement Company.  Do you have any idea as to what period of time he was involved with them?  I may have an archery tackle catalog from the Outdoor Amusement Company -- I will try to locate it.  As you can tell, Paul was only 44 when he passed away in 1946.  I'll see if I dig anything else up on the company.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
With respect to the Woodcraft Wquipment Company, there is a reference under the entry for this company in "A Bibliography of Archery" by Lake and Wright that refers to the reader to the Lowe and Campbell Athletic Goods Co. who apparently wrote also "A Syllabus on Archery for the Beginner" in Kansas city, Missouri circa 1936.

Fred Lake in his Bibliography noted "Not seen - possibly a variant of the Woodcraft Equipment Co. pamphlet published in the same area".
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
After much searching, I have located a 1932 catalog for the Outdoor Amusement Company located at that time in Clinton, Missouri.  On the cover are the words "Osage Archery Tackle".  

The cover also includes the words "Furnishers of Arms and Archery Tackle at Money Saving Mail Order Prices, Transportation Prepaid to the American Public."  There are 19 pp. including the rear cover [20 including the front cover].

Of that, there are 6 pages devoted to rifles [Fox, Savage, L.C. Smith, Stevens, Remington, Springfield & Winchester], and the remaining 11 pages concentrate on archery - tackle, how to shoot, advantages of operating an archery range, short section on the history of archery, etc.  

I did not see Paul Gordon's name mentioned.  The President of the company is a T. Sidney Harley.  On the beginning page of the section on archery, there is a design [logo of some sort] that contains the word archery at the top with 4 small targets and two arrows in one of the targets.  I'm not sure where I have seen this before, but it could have been in a Woodcraft Equipment or York Archery catalog.  

Attractive pricing appears to be their marketing strategy, e.g., their best Osage Orange bow would normally sell for $40.00 and they list it at $16.00.  Their best yew bow would normally retail for $48.00 and they list it for $20.00.

At the bottom of the archery pages in the catalog is the slogan "Archery Tackle from the Ozarks where raw material is plentiful and woodcrafters exceptional."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tox Collector:
After much searching, I have located a 1932 catalog for the Outdoor Amusement Company located at that time in Clinton, Missouri.  On the cover are the words "Osage Archery Tackle".  

The cover also includes the words "Furnishers of Arms and Archery Tackle at Money Saving Mail Order Prices, Transportation Prepaid to the American Public."  There are 19 pp. including the rear cover [20 including the front cover].

Of that, there are 6 pages devoted to rifles [Fox, Savage, L.C. Smith, Stevens, Remington, Springfield & Winchester], and the remaining 11 pages concentrate on archery - tackle, how to shoot, advantages of operating an archery range, short section on the history of archery, etc.  

I did not see Paul Gordon's name mentioned.  The President of the company is a T. Sidney Harley.  On the beginning page of the section on archery, there is a design [logo of some sort] that contains the word archery at the top with 4 small targets and two arrows in one of the targets.  I'm not sure where I have seen this before, but it could have been in a Woodcraft Equipment or York Archery catalog.  

Attractive pricing appears to be their marketing strategy, e.g., their best Osage Orange bow would normally sell for $40.00 and they list it at $16.00.  Their best yew bow would normally retail for $48.00 and they list it for $20.00.

At the bottom of the archery pages in the catalog is the slogan "Archery Tackle from the Ozarks where raw material is plentiful and woodcrafters exceptional."
David,

Thank you for your research.

"After much searching, I have located a 1932 catalog for the Outdoor Amusement Company located at that time in Clinton, Missouri.  On the cover are the words "Osage Archery Tackle"."

Do you have this copy?

The only information I have is from "Broadheads 1871 - 1971" by Wade Phillips. Wade's information states "Paul Gordon of Outdoor Amusement Company AKA Osage Archery Tackle, Clinton and Kansas City, Missouri." and I know about one publication of the Outdoor Amusement Company, but no leads on it.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
With respect to the Woodcraft Wquipment Company, there is a reference under the entry for this company in "A Bibliography of Archery" by Lake and Wright that refers to the reader to the Lowe and Campbell Athletic Goods Co. who apparently wrote also "A Syllabus on Archery for the Beginner" in Kansas city, Missouri circa 1936.

Fred Lake in his Bibliography noted "Not seen - possibly a variant of the Woodcraft Equipment Co. pamphlet published in the same area".
Inside of front cover.

Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Rick, Yes I do have a copy of the 1932 catalog.  Thanks for mentioning the source connecting Paul Gordon with the firm.

I wonder how long York Archery Equipment/Tackle was made by the Woodcraft Equipment Co.?

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
The 1926 "Making Bows and Arrows" noted by Tox.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I've not been able to link Gordon with the Outdoor Amusement Company either.  That doesn't mean he wasn't.  Maybe someone will contact Wade and get his source.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
By the way, the Little Loose-Leaf Library, Bulletin No. 17 - "Making Bows and Arrows" is rare these days.  I'm sure that there are copies out there somewhere, but it just doesn't surface very often.  I haven't seen a copy available for many years.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
I don't remember where and how I obtained my copy, but it was incidental to what I was doing at the time.  It's funny how much stuff one runs up on looking for other stuff.

A friend of mine passed away several years ago and I was out of town, in Little Rock, AR.  He had a book I wanted but knew it would go to his children when he passed.  My wife convinced me to waste an hour or so in Little Rock waiting on an antique mail to open.  I did so reluctantly and when we finally entered the place, the first thing I noticed was a wall of books.  

When I walked over and looked, I stopped and a nice copy of this book was eye level, a foot from my face.  My friend had passed on friday and this was sunday afternoon.  I'll always figure he had something to do with it.   :)

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Cool story!

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Cool story Cliff...I have Bulletin NO. 17 Revised Edition 1927 , cover looks the same except has "With notes on Junior American Archer Association" 64 pages.
Some info : Inside on page 55 "Hints for Beginners"
List of manufacturers who helped build the program and can furnish tackle

James Duff, Jersey City,N.J.
Archers'Co.,Pinehurst,N.C.
L.E.Stemmler,Queens Village, Long Island.
California By-Products Co.,San Francisco,Calif.
Wayland Craft Shops, Wayland,Mich.
Frederick A.Kibbe,Coldwater, Mich.
Knight Archery Co.,Rome,N.Y.
Arther W.Lambert,Jr. St.Louis,Mo.

I was in Wayland,Mich last year at the Lumber Yard closing auction, And picked up two Wayside Bows, the 90+ year owner that had bought them from Herman Stroud owner of Wayland Craft Shop, one has horn nocks and the other has what his bows are known for, carved nocks that look like a horn nock,both bows stamped Wayside in scrip. He made some nice bows for sure......Hink       :cool:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Rick, Yes I do have a copy of the 1932 catalog.  Thanks for mentioning the source connecting Paul Gordon with the firm.

I wonder how long York Archery Equipment/Tackle was made by the Woodcraft Equipment Co.?
Would love to see some pictures of the 1932 catalog.  

As I understand it, York Archery Equipment/Tackle and Woodcraft Equipment Co. were one and the same. I don't know the owners name but will do some research.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©