INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Herter's Ram MX Broadheads Bent or Warped?  (Read 613 times)

Offline Zing 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Herter's Ram MX Broadheads Bent or Warped?
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Although I’m not a collector, I’ve run across some old heads now and then.  I have a number of these Herters Ram MX heads that seem to be slightly bent or warped although they are in new condition, never used or shot.  Flawless in every detail except a little bent.  They obviously came form the factory this way.  These 1960’s beauties are stamped with “Japan” which might be a clue to their lack of perfect quality.  As I grew up in the sixties, I remember all the older men in our neighborhood make nasty comments about the quality of Japanese goods.  Their country, being devastated by WWII, took many decades to regenerate their industrial base.  Most of their products were bottom of the barrel in quality.  So the question I put to all old broadhead collectors is: Are these Herter’s Ram MX heads typically in a bent or warped condition?  Hard to fly straight like that.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Herter's Ram MX Broadheads Bent or Warped?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
I'm fairly new to broadhead collecting and have not noticed any of the Herter's I have being bent or warped. Now I will have to go check them out    ;)  

I haven't shot the Herter's, but I would think, since yours are bent or warped, that you could not get them to spin true. I would install one on an arrow and see if it flys    :archer2:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I checked mine in the display case...a couple appear  to be not bent or warped, just that the blade was set into the ferule slightly off on the rear.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
I checked mine using a straight edge and found 1 out of 12 that was bent, slightly. But enough to give it a wobble during a spin test, checking if the broadhead is on straight. It was a 1965 Herter's Mag 2 manufactured in Japan. The six Ram-MX's were all straight.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Zing 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks to both Ron and Rick for your expert views.  Now Ron when you say " just that the blade was set into the ferule slightly off on the rear."  do you think the manufacturer designed it that way or is it a flaw?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Flaw for sure..no purpose to be not centered. This happened to Bear, Deadheads , etc.

Expert is right! "ex" is an "has been"  and a spurt is a drip under pressure!   :biglaugh:

Offline Zing 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Collectors question - Although not that common and certainly not rare, how collectable are these Herters Ram MX's stamped with "Japan"?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
It is a head that every collector should have, at least one, in his/her collection. Very common.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©