INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: HELP!!!- Dilemma.I need your opinion  (Read 1384 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP!!!- Dilemma.I need your opinion
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I recently picked up this bow on the big auction site.Normally I don't really care for the factory camo Bear bows.Most of them were made with such beautiful wood that I hated to see covered up by ugly camo paint.But after following the thread on that camo '66/'67 Kodiak or Super Kodiak that Vintage-Bears now has,I just had to get this one.Anyone that knows me knows how much I DON'T like to alter an original bow.Sometimes to make one shootable for regular use it may be necessary but I personally prefer a 100% original finish over a re-finish any day.That's just me.How many factory camo,1960's Kodiak Magnum's have ever been seen?I can't recall ever seeing one.Not saying there aren't more out there,I just don't recall seeing them.If someone hadn't thought to remove that unsightly factory camo from Phil's bow,we would have never been fortunate to see the gorgeous,one-of-a-kind all black phenolic riser and brown glass beauty that lurked beneath.It could have existed for another 40+ years covered in that ugly,drab paint.Thankfully Phil and the gentleman that sold it to him had the foresight to explore what was hidden beneath.
 This little K'Magnum is in very nice,100% original condition.No holes,original side leather plate and rug rest,silkscreens,pewter coin,and original specs written in black.A perfect 55#.The bow appears to be either a '61 or '62 K'Mag,both beautiful bows,much nicer looking if the wood were shown.I can't help but wonder what lies beneath this camo paint.Especially after recently aquiring that beautiful little EXP marked '61 K' Mag with the white glass and black & white overlays.Perhaps another odd-ball,almost one-of-a-kind lies just beneath.What is Bear hiding under that camo paint I wonder?
 Do I throw caution to the wind,go against my better instincts and remove the camo paint and see what's underneath?Looking closely even with a magnifying glass I cannot tell the glass color or the riser wood as the factory camo finish is still covering most all of the bow except for a few places along the edges of the limbs,and all I see there is maple laminates.If I remove even a small portion of the paint,the original factory finish will be compromised and the 100% original bow will no longer be 100% original.On the other hand,if I do remove the camo paint and the bow turns out to be just another run of the mill K'Mag,I really won't be out a ton as far as investment goes and would still have a great little hunting bow in a premium weight.But then I will regret having altered an original Bear bow in very nice condition,even though it is factory camo.
 Phil,I have a feeling I know what you would do in this instance.What about some of you other Tradgangers? Should I strip it down and hope I found some more "Bearied-treasure" or leave it alone and wonder forever what lies beneath?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP!!!- Dilemma.I need your opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Next to the EXP K'Mag:

:banghead:

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Just because it is a 61 or 62 would make it a no brainer to get that paint off. I would have started already.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
strip....  and I'll stuff a dollar bill in your garter....
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Chuck-Am I teasing you again? LOL    :nono:  

That would be my next question,how do I go about removing the factory camo paint.I know from other Bear bows I've seen,that stuff is a pain in the rear to remove.Any suggestions that won't take me a month of Sundays to complete.Keep in mind,I am NOT a talented bow re-finisher.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
John, interesting question.

My decision to strip the 66/67 Kodiak was hard........but easy at the same time.
20% or more of the camo paint was already removed when I got it. It was clear what color the glass was and that solid phenolic riser was exposed. It was clearly different from any other Production Kodiak bow so I moved forward and tickled with my decision.
I typically would never alter an original vintage-bear bow as I also prefer 100% original specimens.

Your decision John. Keep us posted......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Phil- you make some great points.It would be a much easier decision on my part if the bow had already been "started" to be stripped and I could tell what the glass color was and/or what the riser looked like.I doubt it will turn out to be the rare beauty you have un-earthed but it still leaves me curious.Wouldn't it be cool if it was an all black Kodiak Magnum with brown glass?Hmmm.....now where's that darn sandpaper.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
LEAVE IT AS IS
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
John,
If you must..... Rubber gloves, acetone and 15 minutes.
The camo comes of fairly easily.
.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Johnny,I have a KMag68 factory camo and from the missing finish I can see some features common to both the 68/69 quite different,i think mine has no value since I experimented some changing in the shelf area cutting and chopping wood,but this can tell you that maybe they used something the was not supposed to finish in the stores,so some were painted,for sure not the rule.
I job is in the fine arts business and usually we have restores making some "test windows"to see what is hide under the top finish,you can do that without altering the interest of the bow.If this is accepted by museums and art collectors for painting wothing several milions I don't see a reason why it can change the value on a couple of hundreds bucks bow.IMHO.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline dabprice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Sr. Cacciatore has the right idea: just strip off a small area to see what lurks beneath. It would be very simple to restore the colour that you have removed if the sampling turns up nothing interesting.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
The excitement is in the unknown. The disappointment is finding out that it is nothing out of the ordinary and realizing you now have an altered bow. With all of the wonderful examples you have of the unique and unusual why not leave it alone and enjoy your imagination. I myself would leave it as it is, but the decision is ultimately yours. As Felix so honestly points out, It's not a great deal of money but perhaps a small area to satisfy your curiousity that could easily be blended in.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Felix- That sounds like a good idea if my curiosity gets the best of me.I could remove a small portion of paint from the riser and from a limb to check out the glass color and riser wood.Whether or not  I could replace the camo to match the original is another story.

Phil- I will keep the acetone in mind if I decide to experiment if it works as well as you say.

Larry-I agree with you as well.Once the finish is removed,even a small portion,the bow is no longer original.And I wonder if I could match the original camo.That could be a real challenge.
Then on the other hand,as you and Felix point out,the bow is not worth a ton of cash anyhow,not like for instance a type I riser or an old Grumley bow might be.I just really don't like the look of the camo paint,as original as it is,as opposed to some nice,vintage wood.
 I will give it some good consideration.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I like the idea of a test point. Hey why not carefully remove the strike plate and check behind it. Save the original and put it back on if you dont go all the way.

Andy

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Andy-I'm liking the idea of a test point too.Removing the strike plate would allow me to check the riser wood to see if it's anything special.I would still want to check the glass color.But that's a good place to start and I could easily glue the strike plate back and cover up any test area.Great idea!

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Nice bow John.  I am thinking the same as Andy, lift a corner of the strike plate and peek.  Unfortunately that won't tell you if it's a one piece or a multi-piece riser, maybe lift the rug as well?  How about removing the camo in the edge of the lower string groove?  That is a normal wear area that would be covered by the string plus you could see the glass and tip colors...

I like it for what it is but I would definitely check out what it could be!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Johnny,
Can't you see what is there through some of the wear marks?
I can see some of the wood on the corner of the shelf,and some white overlays,and maybe some brown glass thru a paint chip on the limb. But you know better as you have the bow in hand.
I just have pics.
But as Phil said, acetone and a rag will make the questions go away.  :)  

I would leave it tho.
I think. now I am curious too!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Chuck- There is some brown wood showing on the edge of the shelf,good observation.The bow appears to have been used a bit as the camo on the grip area where your hand would go seems to be much more shiny,thinner and smooth than other areas of the bow where it is more of a matte look and feel.There are a couple of small chips around the grip overlays where small portions of the glass can barely be seen,and one spot on a string groove on the tip.Very small amounts of the glass are visible and do appear to be sort of a creamy/greenish color much like a '62 would have.There are no areas on the limbs showing the glass color.The brown that you see is areas of brown camo paint under the green paint.Still curious as to the wood in the sight window and limb glass color.I will keep looking with my magnifying glass for more worn and/or thin areas.
 Now I feel like a detective.I don't think I've ever inspected a bow so closely before as this one.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
"....speaking words of wisdom, let it be, let it be..."

Maybe I will start collecting factory camo bows.   I find them interesting.

If you do strip it be sure to post pics.  It's likely a beautiful piece of wood.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Hey John, You could always add a leather grip and that would give you a large area to look at, just a thought, Bear did put custom grips on there bows for customers....like that 64 griz I have from Floyd ......Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©