3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toughening up the fingertips  (Read 839 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Toughening up the fingertips
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Anybody tried toughening up their fingertips with something like an emery board? I shoot a Berlin glove, but actually prefer the "slicker" release of a Damascus.  But the leather is so thin on the dang things that my fingertips start getting numb after a lot of shooting. I know there are some styles with overlays at the fingertips, but I haven't found one that didn't feel like it had and excessive seam "buildup" on the inside at the tips and I just don't feel like I anchor as tightly. Probably a mental thing but I'm old and "set in my ways"!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline IBEW 716

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toughening up the fingertips
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I have found that I don't like the feel of gloves or tabs.  I prefer to shoot bare fingered.  Once I get into a daily shooting groove It takes about a week to build a fair calous on the bottom of my three shootin fingers.
If ever that callous gets too big and causes my string to hang up I simply take an emery board to it an shape it down a little.  I only shoot a 55 @ 28 bow though.
I've read here before that a string that is too heavy may cause nerve damage to your fingers.  While shooting heavier compound bows in the past my fingers might spend the entire deer season numb.  Nerve damage may be something to consider

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I will often shoot bare fingered to get that same calous built up like IBEW mentioned then I use my glove and seems that much easyr.
TGMM

Offline David Hewitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Bare fingered here too.  A few days of regular shooting will get the tips of your fingers caloused.  Never developed a liking for a tab and I've never shot with a good glove.

Woody

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Get a job fixing machines and wash your hands a couple dozen times a day with hand cleaner. It'll be like saddle leather in no time!  ;)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Or you could do like us office pansies......

I like the Alaskan Bowhunter Supply Super Glove.  It's thick enough to protect my baby soft hands and the cordovan leather on the fingertips is nice and slick.
Otto

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
I use a Damascus,and still have a pretty good callous on my bottom finger(3 under).I like to be able to feel the string,and other gloves seem too thick,but can't quite go bare fingered.Fingers don't go numb...........yet.

BTW...I'm shooting #60 @ 28"
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
There are many ways to numb the fingers so you can't feel the pain from the string.I am an expert at this believe me.I shoot 50# @ 28" and it takes a few years maybe 10 years and possibly more for others.You just simply put your hand where it don't belong (like a logsplitter for me when I had my back turned from my bro -in law and he pushed levers when I was putting the log on  ) and if you are lucky like me have it reattached and man it takes care of that nerve damage some may feel, I don't feel but a little numbness now and I use a Damascus mainly to hide the scars so people don't feel bad when they see I shoot much the same as them.I wouldn't suggest you numb them that way but a hammer could also work.Just kidding about the hammer thing but the logsplitter story is true and I am blessed to be able to use it and to not have to hunt with that thing ma jigg that looks like a rifle with wings on it.I really like the Damascus because I need to feel the string just because of my situation.I also have developed the calouse's on my fingers but I know not to overdo it.I have a hard time with gloves with extra leather built up on them cause I too feel I don't have a firm grip on the string.I for one have to grip hard to pull the bow back but know that some people feel gripping to much can give them a bad release.Some things work for some but not for others.Sometimes you have to try different things that work best for you and it is nice to have a website as this one to ask others advice.Thanks Trad Gang !!! God Bless! Keefers <")))><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©