INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadhead Help. Deadheads and a switchblade?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead Help. Deadheads and a switchblade?
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »

Anybody confirm the 60s pearson switchblade? And confused on how or why somebody cut ferrell for aux blade on one of the two large versions of deadheads? Struggling on grain weight for small and large deadheads? Thx guys

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Help. Deadheads and a switchblade?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Ron was kind enough to provide correct info in classifieds. I have seen several Deadhead broadheads but not with aux blade. Somebody with talent did it. I wouldnt mind hunting with them, just know they whistle in flight. But I do prefer a heavier broadhead with my hunting equip. Just much quieter in flight seems best for me.. Thanks again Ron B..

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
These I did using Magnus bleeders.
THe animal doesn't have time to react to the broadhead hiss. They will react to the bowstring or slight movement of release. If the hiss really bothers you the try changing the head orientation  or sand/file the vent opening edges to round them a bit.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Great advise, And yes they react to bow and string sound ofcourse.  I shot them at targets around 30 yards.and took a video For fun.
  I dont shoot that far hunting elk.
Ron, that broadhead set up is outstanding, and no doubt do the job...Thx again   :archer2:

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I don't know how old the Switchblades are, but I used them when I started bowhunting in the mid-seventies. They were only slightly larger than a Bear Razorhead and took a nice edge in sharpening. Without the ferrule extending to the front of the main blade,they'd occasionally bend during practice, but I never had a problem with that on an animal. I found them to fly nicely and cut well. It's Marv Clynke's long-time favorite.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I believe your Ben Pearson switch blade was manufactured from 1971 thru 1977 your model looks to be a 1977 4 blade switchback. They came in a varity of colors and they also made 2 blade versions which are some what rarer.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I dont know if I had a bad batch or what but in 1978 I lost two deer in a row with just no bloodtrail on good broadside shots. I finally got the third. I found out after field dressing that the blade broke off the ferrule when going through a rib and only got the third as the angle still drove the "fieldpoint" into the heart. Checked my last three heads with a little side pressure with my thumb and all snapped off. Into the trash they went and I went back to bears.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
hvyhitter;
The Switchblade or Deadhead?

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
I haven't had a bit of problem with the Switchblades that I've been using. I really like them and I can mix them in with my Zwickey Eskimos and they have identical flight patterns.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember the Switchblades being available in different colors. Including white.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Here's a link to a previous thread showing the different colors of the BP Switchblade.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=005819
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©