INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Black Phenolic Super Kodiak  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Black Phenolic Super Kodiak
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Well Gang, I just recieved a Bear Super kodiak,
60" and 60#s with the black phenolic riser in decent condition. The serial number on it are as follows:9Z1093 No holes, just a few scratches from the green spring arm quiver. Does anyone know the year off this good shooting bow. Any light on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Jacques

Great that makes it a Grayling bow. Thanks,Bill

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Black Phenolic Super Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
I believe the 9 in the front of the serial number indicates it to be a 1969 model

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I agree it is a 69'.It should have wood caps on the riser also.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Hi Jacques how are you my friend? Its a 1969 SK for sure and they are great bows I have a couple I have had for years. My late friend Lamont Granger always said < now thats what a recurve is suppose to look like> Lamont thought they were the best one piece Bear archery ever made and I guess I cant disagree.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
The 9 would indicate it's a 1969 S.K. One of the best in the opinion of many. Probably worth more than most because of the poundage. Most folks back then shot 45-50#'s. 60# are hard to find.

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Well thanks Mike and Ron, I agree the riser is slightly heavier,which to me aids in the follow through, sweet no hand shock,great cast,very consistant shooting bow. Nice to hear from you, hope you guys are shooting well! I am recovering from a fall, which left me useless. I just left the chiropractor, he hurt me bad,but I do feel a little better already,maybe in a week I will be good as new? Talk with you later,Jacques

Offline ray tareila

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
On Bear bows with the flat brass (gold) coin, the year can often be determined from the first digit. This holds true from 1965-1969. It is not valid for 1963-64 or from 1970-72 where there was a different numbering system but most Bear students know how to date these easily also by their shapes and wood types. Therefore as noted by others, yours is a 1969 and one of the most beautiful Bears but I would argue not one of the best shooters in the Bear line. Regards, Ray

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Last weekend my family and I camped at the Chippewa Falls, WI, shoot where I had made arrangements for Terry from the Footed Shaft to bring a '69 Super Kodiak (45#) that belonged to Lamont Granger and hung in the shop.  I just gave it to my Dad (Bernie B here on tradgang) as an early Fathers Day gift.  Here it is pictured with a '69 (50#) that belonged to my Grandpa.
-Jay

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Awsome Guys, those bows look just like mine! At 60#s even at my short draw of 25.5"s it's probably giving me around 51-52#S and shoots very well! Thanks for the phioto's. Later,Jacques

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I recently picked up 69SK in trade same riser, and I got the case and leather tab too.  This bow is my introduction into the Bear bow world.  I have spent every since the trade looking for more bears to add the my small collection.  I think my next Bear will be a Tamerlane same year same riser around 40 lbs.

Shooting these bows are like driving old sports cars, not the fastest not the quietest but a blast spend the afternoon with.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Yep, they are pretty looking and Nice Shooters!
I lucked out and found mine in 64". Very pleased with it's performance. These pictures were taken when I first picked it up.    

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©