INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: '63 Dogleg K-Mag  (Read 718 times)

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
'63 Dogleg K-Mag
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Howdy Gang,
Just wanted to post up a couple of pics of a new addition to my rack. Its a '63 Dogleg K Mag with some really nicely figured bubinga. I thought it was zebrawood when I first saw it!  The serial # is 24BK1 and there is a star stamped on it.  
I have a couple of questions about the bow. The first one being is, What type riser is this bow? I, II, or III and how do you know/ would I be able to tell?   My second question is concerning the star. I have seen several old bears with them. Usually means they were a display bow or something of that nature right? Not really sure but a good explanation of the star would be awesome as well.  
Hope you all enjoy the pics. I think she is just beautyful!

United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: '63 Dogleg K-Mag
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Well I think I just answered my star question. The search feature is pretty handy!

From what I gathered, the star represents that it was refinished at the factory and sold with no warranty. Or that it was a left over model and sold with no warranty.  

Anyone else have any input or info concerning the matter? I would love to hear it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Hey that is a really nice K mag. Can't help with your questions, but I wanted to let you know that the riser is Bubinga. It does have stripes like zebrawood, but it isn't. Zebrawood would be light tan between the brown vertical streaks, and your bow is the orangy brown typical of Bubinga, which is the normal riser wood for that year. It is nice riser wood though.

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Know what your right! I just did some additional homework and found that the riser is bubinga and the riser is a type III.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Here's the three types side by side

The one on the left is like yours and quite safe to shoot. The middle one you can shoot-although I have not, and the one on the right most advise don't shoot.
All three are Bubinga.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I like the SK 63,very personal bows.I had a type III that I traded,but for sure I miss it.
I don't know for what a reason but usually the star stamped bows are in better condition than the other,I have 2 both SK one is a 61 and the other a 64.
Bjorn,nice line there!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Bjorn
Love the riser wood in that type 11. Gorgeous piece of wood with nice grain.You don't see many of the 1's.  Here is one I have posted before. I wonder how many are still around. Nice bow CavScout!!    

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
The color of your riser is outstanding Larry! How many # is that?

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks Larry! Yours is definitly a gem too, love that wood grain.  And Bjorn, that is one sexy line up you have there. I'm jealous!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
50#'s. When I first picked it up I actually shot it for a brief period and then put it away. It was later that I became aware it was the type 1 and prone to breakage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©