3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what types of knives do you carry?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
what types of knives do you carry?
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »
I like seeing what other people carry and why, I carry a case yellow handled trapper, best knife I've ever had!, I carry a hendrix made hunter when hunting
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what types of knives do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:10:00 AM »
I carry a sheath knife on my belt all the time. Its a Schrade 171UH - a heavy bladed knife that is super strong.
 I use it for cutting baling twine; and as I would an axe when I have too.
 I also carry a pocket knife - a cheap folding knife with a blade that locks open. It has a beveled edge; and half the blade; the lower part is serrated.
 Its so cheap; I cannot find a name on it. But then I sharpen my knives so often that they tend to shrink after a while  :)
 For field dressing elk and deer etc; I use the folding knife. I also carry a small file; in case I have to resharpen the blade.
  I use my knives all the time; and I think a knife like my Schrade which has a large hilt- is what you need for self defense against man or beast; as it keeps your hand from slipping forward.
  I think it is kinda foolish to have a folding knife that doesn't lock open. Just my opinion; and I have the scars to back up my opinion  :(
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »
For work I carry an el cheapo fixed blade thing I won in a raffle,,it's cheap but sharpens up to scary sharp very fast an easy.
As a hunting knife I have an 8" bowie made by local knife maker "Brian Baker" of Svord Knives.
Nothing fancy,just very sharp and well made.
For butchering things I use Victornox.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »
A bone handle case trapper, yellow handle case muskrat for the small work.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »
everyday carry knife is a cold steel spectre
for hunting a cold steel mini california drop point hunter or sog northwest ranger
also have a camillus cuda cqb2 coming which should be great

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
A Coast lockback for everyday, and a nice drop point belt knife when hunting.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
I have carried several production knives and still do from time to time. But since I have started making Custom Knives, I've really begun to appreciate the difference. They do tend to cost more than productions, but generally so do the bows.
   For those that prefer Custom Bows, a Custom Knife would fit well into your equipment. There are several makers with websites who make knives to order from various materials and for different uses. These guys test there knives, sometimes to destruction, to get the most out of the steel. I recommend Ray Kirk of the Cherokee Nation.
                                    Lin Rhea

No links to nonsponsors.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
For work I use either a Benchmade Griptilian,or a CRKT M21-14.

For hunting and such,I usually have at least 2 different Damascus knives on me.They get rotated quite a bit.One on my armguard,and then rotate thru the 5 or 6 customs I have.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I carry a number of them for different reasons.  My prized possesion is a dandy Tippit knife I won in the St. Judes auction a couple years ago and don't leave home without it.  
Then I have a straight blade Buck knife that my grandmother gave to me as a birthday gift some 40 years ago.  It was my first real good knife.  She was a special lady to me, and her knife rides in my pack on most hunts.  
I also usually have a Sharade leightweight folder tucked in as a backup.  Not too many trips when I need them all, but I like having them with me just the same.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
I've carried a Buck 501 lockblade since I was 14 for everyday use. I have worn out a couple but always replace it with the same model.
For hunting I like a fixed blade and I have a couple style Buck knives I like.
I also have a small Bark River fixed blade I have trying out.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
Either an Emerson CQC 7 or a Benchmade Griptillian for every day.For hunting I have so many I switch often but I usually pack the Benchmade as a spare.

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
I carry 3 knives when hunting, 2 Dozier customs (Master Hunter & Bird & Trout models) and 4" Case Trapper. All 3 are razor sharp and ready at all times. I gotta say though "those Doziers are the sharpest knives and have incredible edge retention". They are the only custom that I have ever been willing to spend so much money on and will again.
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
My EDC is a Camillus Heat (robo assit), Becker Necker (neck knife), a leatherman wave, a fire steel that fits in the sheath of the leatherman and a braclet made out of 15' of 550 cord. When I go hunting I just add my BK 7 made by Ethan Becker.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Old Timer 8OT is my everyday pocket knife.  I have a CheatR knife made by Frank that I got as a White Elephant from a fellow tradganger. A few other knives that rotate in and out while hunting but always carry a Wyoming knife for gutting.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Depends on the "mood for the day".  Any number of folders (as I have about 30-40).  Funny thing is that my "favorite" is probably the cheapest one, an Opinel with a high carbon blade.  It can be made wicked sharp, and is just so darn simple.  Plus, if it gets lost, I'm only out about $5-$8.  When it comes to hunting, I use a fixed blade.  Mostly production ones with  slender blades (KOA Bear Cub or Jager, Gorhmann T&B or Camper, or a couple other odd ball ones that I just liked).  Some day I will have one from Doug C, or other makers here, just haven't had the opportunity.

Some have a "bow sickness", for me it is knives.  Not from a collector perspective or needing some really high priced item, but just shapes or styles I like.  Though it must hold an edge.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
the best knife I carry is a "Emerson"...used these for long time...gave one to my daughter boyfriend for his 2nd tour in Iraq, one of Americas best , a Marine!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I carry a Benchmade AFCK almost everyday.  I've had for about 10 yrs.  In fact, I bought a spare because of the old saying, "If you find something you really like, they will quit making it."  BTW- I think they did quit aking it.

For hunting I carry any of a couple favorite belt knives.  Lately, its been a Grohman canadian hunter.  I also like the Helle Harding, but I have given all the ones I made away.

Carl

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
My EDC is a Spyderco Military.When I go hunting I add a Buck folder in a pouch.I am looking to replace the Buck with a Dozier.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
For years I carried a Spyderco, good knive easy to keep sharp, now I have a Gerber Rex Applegate Covert folder. When hunting I carry my fathers very old Navy issue Camillus belt knive.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Either a Helle Polar or Harding knife that I made up and a Buck 110.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©