3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what types of knives do you carry?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: what types of knives do you carry?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
My pocket knife if a Swiss Army Camper.  While  hunting, I use different size custom drop point sheath knives, which I mostly leave in my pack until needed.

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
all most every time i go hunting i have a different knife. i am not sure what they are called.  ;)
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
My EDC is a customized Swiss Army, I rehandled it in bocote, and now it is much more fun than red palstic.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
I carry a Becker BK9 in the pack, an AO "Scallion" clipped to the pants pocket for easy one handed access and some other knife from Cabelas that came free with a magazine subscription-oh, and a Helle Veiderjman or something like that. Wait a minute-I think I am carrying too many knives!!!  :jumper:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Notso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Most often I carry a sheath knife I made. Blade came from a catalog and is Soligen steel. Is sharp and stays that way. The handle is an antler from a 2 1/2 year old buck I killed with a recurve a bunch of years ago. The recovery required a nasty uphill drag over rocky terrain, resulting in nearly total loss of hair on one side of the animal. The other knife (other antler) went to the friend that helped drag the deer out!!! Good thing we were lots younger then.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
For EDC I rotate between:
1) Benchmade Mini-Griptilian (this usually goes hunting with me as well).
2) Spyderco Navigator
3) Swiss Army Vox (very slim and trim with only the big blade and a combination bottle opener/screwdriver/wire stripper)
4) Swiss Army with a few more accessories on it.
5) A.G. Russell Woodswalker (fixed blade) which carries in a leather sheath in the back pocket.

**I end up carrying the Swiss Army Vox more than anything these days, it's got everything I need for the suburban/office environment and eases my fear of being stuck with a good craft beer and no opener.

Hunting:
1) Love my Helle Harding!
2) Spyderco Bill Moran (fixed blade) with drop point blade.
3) Buck folder from 1994 (not sure of the model?) with a 3" hollow ground blade, it takes a breast off turkey or pheasant like a laser.
4) Helle Steinbit - great fillet knife that also doubles as a boning/kitchen type knife.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Hunting I carry a small trade-style neck knife with a firesteel-magnesium stick included into the sheath.  In my pack I carry a Helle Fire, best knife ever for taking apart an elk (ask dave2old), and whenever I am in the woods I carry a puukko style knife on the belt.  Actually just ordered two new puukkos!  A Kellam and a Finnish one with a Finnish brand name I can't type in.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
A Knives of Alaska Cub with stag handle and an old Gerber Folding Sportsman in my belt pouch for deer hunting. A small Western fixed blade knife for small game.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
I have carried several production knives and still do from time to time. But since I have started making Custom Knives, I've really begun to appreciate the difference. They do tend to cost more than productions, but generally so do the bows.
   For those that prefer Custom Bows, a Custom Knife would fit well into your equipment. There are several makers with websites who make knives to order from various materials and for different uses. These guys test there knives, sometimes to destruction, to get the most out of the steel. I recommend Ray Kirk of the Cherokee Nation.    
                                    Lin Rhea
Well Lin that is pretty damn modest...........

I have seen your site and your work is amazing. I just have not had the time to call you about a knife. I would carry one of your knives with great pride!

Beautiful Work!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Tim,
      Thanks. I just forged up a damascus billet from which I hope to make me a knife. I sold my personal knife right off my belt the other day. I really wanted to keep one just for me, but I can make another.
   The one I will make me will have a 4 inch dropped point blade of damascus, a Stainless guard and pins and Sheephorn for the handle scales. I like the Sheephorn for several reason, but mostly because it stays grippy even when wet.
   There are a lot of good production knives and I have some too, but when it comes time to rely one one in a serious way, I like the idea of it being custom built for that specific purpose. That's just me.
     Holler at me anytime Tim. I can tell you about how I took the Hog in my avatar.
                                 Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
Tim,
      Thanks. I just forged up a damascus billet from which I hope to make me a knife. I sold my personal knife right off my belt the other day. I really wanted to keep one just for me, but I can make another.
   The one I will make me will have a 4 inch dropped point blade of damascus, a Stainless guard and pins and Sheephorn for the handle scales. I like the Sheephorn for several reason, but mostly because it stays grippy even when wet.
   There are a lot of good production knives and I have some too, but when it comes time to rely one one in a serious way, I like the idea of it being custom built for that specific purpose. That's just me.
     Holler at me anytime Tim. I can tell you about how I took the Hog in my avatar.
                                 Lin
Hey Lin............

Funny you mention that knife as that is exactly what I was thinking about. If it is available I am very interested. Why don't you shoot me a PM with the details about time frame and price. I need a knife like that to go with my bows.

Tim    :cool:

Offline Mulberry River

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion auto EZ-out lockblade all the time everywhere. So quick & useful for everything from dispatching a road-casualty deer to gutting an arrow-shot one, to numerous other tasks. Also I carry a Gerber brand Wyoming knife for zipping open animals to gut them. Very light, very handy in the backpack!
Some night you're gonna wind up on the wrong end of a gun...Vince Gill

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Aurora Hunter by our own Numitokayo.

High on Archery.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I only carry one knife. Doug Campbell Caper! Just the right size and shape.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Mike that is a Very nice Knife, Daniel makes quite a blade from what I have seen and Sylvie is quite the leathersmith too!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Sheath knife - Helle, buck or browning.
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
i cary a short skinny old gerber,  makes the pooper cuts really easy and is easaly inserted in the neck for bleeding.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Day-to-day; I carry a CRKT M-16 in my back pocket and a Swiss Army single balde in my front pocket.
Hunting; I have a Buck Tactical in my back pocket.  Schrade sharp finger, High Pockets skinner, Gerber Gator II, Buck three blade inmy pack.  There's probably one or two others I forgot about floating around in there as well.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
My belt knife, was my Grandfather's  it has " Sabatier Agierfondo" on the blade. I think it is french but not sure?
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©