INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ok, I'll quit horsing around; the bow a RH 1967 Roy Case  (Read 646 times)

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok, I'll quit horsing around; the bow a RH 1967 Roy Case
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I got a hold of this bow and was amazed.  I couldn't find anything from around 1967 about Mr Case selling bows with his name on them.  And this being a right hand bow made me believe it was not intended for Mr Case personally.  the only thing I could find was a story about Mr Case having two bows made to give to a friend.  I believe this bow to be one of them.   :)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok, I'll quit horsing around; the bow a RH 1967 Roy Case
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
cool looking bow , 57" ??  tell me more about Roy Case, please.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
As I understand it Roy Case championed the cause for  permitting licensed archery deer hunting. He was the first person to legally harvest a deer in Wisconsin using archery in 1931.  He was instrumental in Wisconsin becoming the first state to have a designated Archery only deer season in 1934. He is recognized as the first archery broadhead collector.  He was influential in helping establish the The Wisconsin Archery Association and The American Broadhead Collector's Club.  There are many many other instances which can be attributed to Mr. Case which helped shape traditional archery as we know it.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I am sure several of the more knowledgeable individuals here could provide a lot more information about Mr Case.  And if I am correct, BowDoc, and possibly Wade Phillips could shed some light on this bow, Mr Cases preference for maintaining a string keeper on a recurve and maybe even who specifically made it.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Roy Case made longbows and recurve bows in his day. He did not make mass quantities of bows. A lot of the recurve bows that he made were made for friends and were personalized. A Roy Case recurve is not an easy find and congrats to you for having one. It is an awesome piece of traditional history to own.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
that's pretty sweet...nice find...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
Pretty Cool Bruce!
Thanks...............

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Great Find!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Good find! Roy Case retired at the ripe age of 26, he was related to the owners of Case tractors here in Racine, Wi. and and it is said to be a millionare at the same time. He spent his life making archery equipment. He also made the bow called the Rigged Recurve. One of the first moveable sights with a matchstick head used as a pinsight he invented also. Another good find I have is a single fletcher jig with his name on it that he sold at one time. I have a left handed Rigged Recurve that has never been shot made by him. Most of all his bows were given to friends and I don't think he ever advertised to sell bows like his broadheads. Shane

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Kaleb Case the son of Roy will be at our shoot the 3rd weekend of Aug. or the 18 and 19. Check it out at our website ribarchery.com Shane

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Cool information Shane.  I will take a look at the website.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
That bow looks an awful lot like the Wilson Bros. Black Widow H-Handle bows of the 1967-1968 time frame.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Gamemaster and jackDaw
In researching; it is possible this bow was made for Mr. Case by a Mr. L.E. Kumerow of Janesville,Wi
I have searched online but have not found anything about Mr. Kumerow and bow building.  I did find an article announcing Mrs. L.E. Kumerow placed 2nd in a 1947 Janesville Bow and Arrow competition.

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Hello again, have found another Roy Case find, it is a serving jig that is made of alm. like the fletcher. The word CASE is stamped on it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©