INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A Handle - Finally! - It's Here! - Pg.3 Update: November Doe  (Read 2256 times)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Handle - Finally! - It's Here! - Pg.3 Update: November Doe
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm not getting in the limb discussion as I have my own opinions and observations through actual experience. But there was just a set of camo painted Grayling white tips on **** that were 50#  #1s, that could be refinished to equal your new riser. Point being , these limbs are out there in greater numbers than than the type 1 A risers. I shoot modern limbs on my Type 1 A but not opposed to shooting Grayling limbs....just dont have any right now. You can find what you want if you look.....just like you found your riser. Enjoy it !

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Terry , Pm'd you.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by dabprice:
Philip-

I appreciate your comments on my response concerning modern Bear limbs. My experience has been this:

I have a Type 1 "A" riser that I shoot frequently. I have a set of Keith Chastain Wapiti limbs that were made for it, but before I had those made, I shot it with new, Gainesville limbs from another bow which I just slightly modified by enlarging the locating hole on the limbs.

I did, however, first measure the the new limbs against the older set of Grayling limbs that came with the riser; there was, in this case, absolutely NO difference in any of the dimensions involving the pocket fit. Certainly, if there were differences, I would have not used the newer limbs on it.

Perhaps this was just an anomaly in the limb construction, but I had no problems at all.

I do, though, think that the newer T/D limbs are better than the old ones!
I'm glad it works out for you and wish you continued success with your setup.

......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I agree Philip. Right on . Did you notice how many Bear T/d were at BQ7?   4 week 2 not counting Bowdoc's . A lot of success and huntng with those bows.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:00 AM »
Yes sir the old Bear TakeDowns are great shooting bows , I have even been known to kill a critter or two with em...........
,,,,Sam,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Beautiful!
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Just a congrats to the person who won the most recent signed A handle on that big site for a little over $1300. I begged and pleaded with the guy to make a trade on that bow, and he thought he was going to get more money last second for it. He may wish he took my offer now, but some lucky person won it. It killed me to watch helplessly as the bow was stolen. Couldn't sell bows fast enough to bid myself. If anyone has a signed shootable Bear bow that they are looking to sell, please contact me through this site. I will make every effort to trade, or sell off some for purchase

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Hi Shane,
That was a pretty signed handle and I also congratulate the new owner.
The good news is there are many signed handles out there.
Fred Bear was very gracious and would sign anything you asked him to.
Lines and lines of people had their bows signed when he was at an archery / outdoor event. A good friend of mine has an amazing photo of Fred signing his handle "green stripe" with 6 or 7 other handles on the table waiting to be signed. This he did on many occasions not to mention His signing countless others from the plant by customer request and as gifts which he often gave to friends.
Keep your eyes open because they always show up!
Good luck

......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Beautiful...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I saw that one too - pretty amazing!  

My A-handle (the one that started this thread) should be showing up some time next week!

This is by far the most excited I've been about getting a new (to me) bow in over 30 years!

My next post will be of the bow in its new home    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing it. Congratulations!

.......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
After a long wait (at least it seemed long to me   :)  ) my Type 1 A-Riser arrived last week!
This bow was quite the financial trick for me and involved selling 3 - 60's Bear Kodiaks and a really sweet Blacktail recurve to make ends meet - but I gotta say - it was well worth it!
As I mentioned when I started this thread - it has been a long time coming!

I bought the bow from Chris Ashbey (Abear) who was great to deal with - including being patient as I came up with the money.

Here are some pictures - as you will see I'm not the best photographer...

The box arrived last week -

the box looked a bit big considering it was just supposed to have a riser in it - I soon found out why -

Chris had sent along something extra - this sweet takedown case! - but that was not the only extra - when I opened the case I found my new riser and an unopened pack of a dozen Bear Razorhead bleeder blades and a slot cleaning tool - I'm not sure how he knew that I needed these!

Here is my best attempt at trying to show this near mint riser -

Of course I had to put the #3 50lb limbs on it that I recently got - and string her up! The arrows pictured with it are some beautiful 60's repro Bear arrows that Trap built for me a while back.

After stringing her up - I just could not help but shoot a few arrows - could I?

I have to say that shooting this bow is an experience that is hard to describe - but I'm sure you guys who have done it know what I mean.
This riser, more than any other I've had over the years, feels alot like holding onto an exceptionally balanced high end shotgun stock.  I know they are quite different - but there is something about the quality of design that you can just feel.  
This bow shoots right where I'm looking from the first arrows I put through it at 18 yards.  - And it is extremely quiet too!

That last thing I wanted to do was to be sure to thank Chris Ashbey for giving me the opportunity to buy this bow from him.  These don't seem to come up very often - especially in this condition and his willingness to wait almost a month for me to get the funds together was greatly appreciated!
- And to send along a very nice case and the bleeder blades was just icing on the cake - Thanks Chris!

And thanks to you guys for filling up this post and several others about these bows - it made the wait better - and more difficult seeing and hearing about your experiences with them!

My next post about it will hopefully be with the whitetail I take with it this fall   :bigsmyl:  .  

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Congrats Terry. They are great bows. I have all but a type 1 B handle, hopefully I will find one I can afford.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Terry, that is a sweet set-up, I have no doubt you will harvest an animal this fall...look forward to the pictures with the A-Riser laying on that whitetail...good luck..Roy

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Terry, that's a great combination riser/limbs you have there.  Good luck with it.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
AWESOME. Looks Great I am glad you got one! They are truly special bows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Congratulation! Nothing like the original.Beautiful riser.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
sweet outfit, don't let Johnny talk you into putting a compass in it.  :thumbsup:  Good shootin.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
As hoped for - here she is with a nice fat doe - shot her November 14th after passing on quite a few earlier in the season.

Taking a deer with traditional equipment has always been special to me - but last years with a 62 Kodiak and this years with this Type 1 A - well, there was an extra feeling that is hard to describe.

The arrows were some old footed ones that Matt (Magnus) was kind enough to refinish for me - worked like a charm!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Terry, congratulations on a fine doe with your A handle.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©