INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What to do with this 57 Grizzly...  (Read 614 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
What to do with this 57 Grizzly...
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I got this 1957 Grizzly recently. It was dirty and looked like nobody had taken care of it for 40 years. I took the wrap off,cleaned it up and applied some superglue to some of the stress cracks on the belly side. I hit it with some satin finish. The bak side tips, and handle are in really great shape in my opinion. My question is,"is it shootable"? The bow is 62" and 52". Perfect for my liking. What do you guys think? I'm thinking maybe I should have it professionally restored. Any opinions? What length string should I have made for it? Thanks for your help. I would love to see this bow live on!
Belly side:

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do with this 57 Grizzly...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Back side:

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Camera is making the bow look yellowed. It actually looks much better than the pic show.
The belly side is very smooth and seems solid to me. I appreciate your input.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Brian, I had a bow just like it. Stressed very badly but shot very well.  

Mine was wayy  to heavy for me but shot great.

sorry i will not tell you what to do with yours.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Hello horatio1226
   Whether to attempt to string up and shoot a damaged bow is a personal choice.  The decision is weighted one way or the other depending on your experience and skill combined with your attachment to the bow.  Sorry if this answer sounds vague.  The bow could string up and shoot fine for years, or it could suffer catastrophic failure at any time.   As for having the bow professionally restored. It comes down to cost - vs – value; i.e. the price of  professional restoration may not be economically viable if you intend to resell or trade the bow at a later time, however, if this bow is the "one" or a must have addition to your collection then cost is irrelevant.
   With that said.  If it were me:  If I decided the bow was valuable enough to me I’d complete the restoration, or have it restored before I would attempt to shoot it.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
The way the stress lines show up in the pic,it looks as though glass splinters are are lifting. If thats the case I would be very hesitant about shooting it. If the glass is lifting, a wall hanger would be it's lot in life. Hard to tell by pictures alone.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©