3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yet another string question  (Read 385 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Yet another string question
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
I just received a used bow that has a frayed string. The bow is an 1950s vintage Bear Cub. The string it has measures 56.5" not under tension. The bow is marked 62".  I assume that this string is a 58" string. This fits with all the recommendations I have seen in my searching of the other threads here. One question I have is this. How much can you effectively shorten a string by twisting it? If 58 inches turns out too long can I twist it to a 57 inch? I would suspect 1/2 inch would probably be about all you'd want to shorten by twisting but thats based on a guess. Anyone have a good idea how much you can shorten a string by twisting? Thanks
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet another string question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Greg,

Hopefully someone will post the correct starting brace height for that bow.   I don't know it and that is key to tuning it.

First, be sure that the new string is not Fast Flight or one of the other newer fibers.  Use only Brownell's B-50 or BCY's B-500.  These two are made for the older bows and have the necessary "give".

The length of the string will be from 3" to 4" shorter than the length from nock to nock.  It will probably give you a brace height around 7 to 8 inches.  A new 66" bow that I got recently, required a 63" string to get brace height right.

Twisting will shorten the string significantly.  Usually you don't want start with more than 1 or 1 1/2 twists per inch of string, but when I was too lazy to build a new string, I've twisted up as much as 3/4".  That's probaly 5 or 6 twists per inch.  It worked, but not the best string I've ever had.

The B-50 and B-500 strings will stretch with use, so it's usually a little better to start with fewer twists, then add twists to keep your brace height adjusted.

Good luck with it,
Allen

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
You can twist it until it starts kinking
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, I've had 3 50's Cubs on my bow rack at one point or another (2 now) and all three have been different lengths even though they were all marked 62"   :)    

The recommended brace on the old cubs was 6-1/2" to 7-1/4" (I think)  All three of mine seemed to like the 7-1/4" brace best.  Too much below that and they started getting pretty shocky (esp. the '57 Cub on my rack now).  I'll measure the strings on the bows when I get home tonight to give you a ball park number, but it should be around a 59" string.  Dacron is best measured under strain (on the bow or weighted with something heavy)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. This is a great place to learn. But I guess string length really doesn't matter until I get a bow stringer and some arrows.  Thanks again

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Ok, I found a string. Now another question. How long does it take for an older Dacron string to stretch and to be ready to tune the system?

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Gotta get Golden Hawk in here [LeRoy].He just built a b-50 for Gator1's old Bear Bow.

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
I'd give it a good 200 shots to be set in. JMHO
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Ok at the rate I am shooting, that will be about 10 years.  Thanks for the replies. Next time the weather and daylight cooperate I will get started. Soon days will get longer. These days with only 8 hours of daylight can get to a person.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©