INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Abererombie&Fitch Co. Longbow  (Read 865 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Abererombie&Fitch Co. Longbow
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Ever heard of them? My friend just brought one over.Neat old bow,66" with no markings on it as far as length and draw weight.No shelf,just a small side strike plate.It's in very good shape with just a few small scratches. He wants a recurve to shoot,so I'm giving him a Howatt Hunter for this one. Just curious as to what anyone knows about them? Pics in a minute....

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Abererombie&Fitch Co. Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
great condition!!!---they were outfitters--safari-fishing- camping-mountaineering --and sold high quality stuff--in manhatten from 1890's up until the end of the 70's--killer bow!!
Mike

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Wonder who made it for them? Ben Pearson?
Lucas Kent

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the limb tip and overlay.The strike plate is the same material as the overlay and recessed into the riser. I'd love to know who built it and when.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Sure looks Ben Pearson, nice condition.  :)  Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Very Cool Bow!

Would look great on my bow rack!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by OldSkoolArcher:
Very Cool Bow!
Yes it is! It's in better condition than some of the bows I hunt with,just a few small scratches and dings. Any idea on the age and type of wood? Here's a couple better pics of the wood. Riser and belly are a very tight grain honey brown and the back is golden yellow.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Abercrombie & Fitch was a highly respected merchant dealing in high quality goods for every aspect of outdoor pursuits. They were based in New York City. If an item carried their label, it was quality all the way. I don't know who built their bows but their standards were such that I'm sure it was among the best of the day. Back in the early 70's I visited their gun room just to see guns like Purdeys, Westley Richards and Holland and Holland.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
The wood appears to be yew.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
I remember seeing a magazine article with pictures from A&F,it was about heavy double rifles.

Is the yellow on the back the sapwood of the yew?

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
From bows and guns to now being t shirts and jeans?? Thats a big change if you ask me.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
I have an Abercrombie & Fitch [A & F] 40 pound yew bow [71 inches] as well.  Mine may be a slightly older model because it has horn bow nocks and a pigskin grip [the bow grip is similar to what Doug Easton used when he made his bows].  

They are beautiful bows, and I have never found out who made them for the company.  My bow came with several other bows in an Ascham [archery cabinet to house bows and arrows] from a family that lived in southern Connecticut -- not very far out of NYC.  They may have belonged to the Greenwich Archers.

When I had business trips to NYC many years ago, I visited their store on a number of occasions.  It was quite the place with animal heads and mounts taken from all over the world.  They carried top of the line tackle in terms of guns, hunting gear and fishing gear.

It was the kind of place that was neat to visit, but I could never afford to buy anything -- but "looking" was a lot of fun!  They were 'top of the line'.  

L.L. Bean and other similar sporting - hunting & fishing companies used to compare themselves with A & F but unfortunately A & F never reinvented themselves as catalog merchandising came into existence.

I sure would like to know who made their bows.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Hello David. I'm in Connecticut also.It's pretty neat to find an old"local" bow.I have an old Colt Woodsman recurve in my collection also.I live about 10 minutes away from where Stemmler archery was located in Middlebury.We all had Stemmlers around here when we were kids.I had to have 5 or 6 myself.
I agree it would be very interesting to find out who made these bows for A&F.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
It is neat to locate locally made bows.  Stemmler was quite an operation in its day.

All I have that is Colt is a stabilizer.  You may remember the name Russ Willcox, who developed the duo-flex bow.  He was going to be their bowyer but returned home to South Egremont, MA after a while.  He felt that quality bows should be individually hand made and not machine made.  Colt did not make archery tackle for very long.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Sure looks like a Pearson to me as well
that is  Yew!

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Well Gang, I have a 1930 edition of a Ben Pearson static tip recurve, 68" and 100#s at 28" made from a stave not billets, backed with rawhide. This bow is a great shooter! I shoot it once a year. Now there is no doubt that bow is made by Ben Pearson, his workmanship is undeniable! Beautiful find, congrats! Later,Jacques

Offline menatkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
That is a beautiful old bow!  Treat her right, and I'm sure she'll reciprocate.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
72" HH Wesley Special
70" HH Robin Hood
66" Bear Tigercat
68" Les Howis Portland
Grozer Mongol

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas.

Users currently browsing this topic: