INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Change in degree of recurve in vintage Bear Kodiak Magnum  (Read 396 times)

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
Change in degree of recurve in vintage Bear Kodiak Magnum
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I have a question as to design changes between mid 60's and early 70's Kodiak Magnums.  

I have a 1965 46# KM and a 1970 50# KM.  I noticed that the '65 has more recure.  The limb tips stick further foreward and the angle between the tips and the axis of the bow is steeper than with the '70.  Was there a design change sometime between these two dates or is there that much variation between individual bows?

Here is a link to a picture that illustrates what I am refering to:

http://images.imagelinky.com/1347236375.JPG

I did a force draw curve on both bows and the stored energy of the '65 @ 46# is within 5% of of the '70 @ 50#. Actually, with the same brace heighth the 46 is 46 # where as the 50 is more like 53#.  The '65 @ 46 seems to be as fast as the '70 and the draw is smoother and more pleasant to shoot.

I like the '65 and plan on keeping it.  I also wouldn't mind finding a 40# KM with the same design as the '65, and was wondering if the date the bow was made is indicative of which design it is.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Change in degree of recurve in vintage Bear Kodiak Magnum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
You got me to wondering what exactly I had on the rack so I pulled them down and took a few pictures. I have one 1965 and the rest are KU serial numbers so are late sixties or early seventies.  I'm not an expert on serial numbers.
There is a difference.  The 65 is a delicate little thing at 42# and the others all have a more robust riser by maybe 1/2" front to back.
The KUs range in weight from 45 to 50X but appear identical to my eye.  I took a few pictures but I'm heading for the rack and don't want to stay up trying to learn how to post pics.  PM me and I'll email the pics to you or just wait and I'll try to post them in the next day or so.
Brad Lehmann

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©