INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 56" 1957 Kodiak brace?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
56" 1957 Kodiak brace?
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm assuming around 7". Anyone know the suggested brace from Bear?
Thanks.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 56" 1957 Kodiak brace?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Morning Bob
Just a quick look and I don't see a recommended brace for the 56" listed in either the 57 or 58 catalogs.  1959 does list the brace for a 56" Kodiak as Min 6" & max 7".
Hope this helps

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Cool, thanks.
Lovin' the '59 after you refinished the sight window.
The bottom limb still has a bit of a twist, but it's not bad after twisting by hand. I'm not sure I want to try the hairdryer on that bow or not. The string always stays in the grove and you only really notice the slight twist at 3/4 draw, up.
Not sure what I should do.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
I used to have another old bow which had a similar tendency to twist.  You could just detect the twist when the bow was unstrung, but once strung it looked straight.  However, when I pulled it I could see the limb twist a little, the string never jumped but it always worried me.  I tried the hand twist and heating with a hair dryer; but the limb seemed to always return to its former state.  I resorted to putting the limb in "traction"...so to speak.  I used a 3/4" dia. stick about a foot longer than the bow.  I secured the stick to the bow on the opposite side as the direction of the twist; making sure to stabilize the riser and good limb.  Next I twisted the tip of the offending limb to the opposite side of the stick and secured it in place.  next step I heated the entire length of the offending limb.  I heated the limb evenly until it was very warm, but not uncomfortable to hold,( I felt this would keep the old glue from getting too hot and releasing).  After heating I left the bow in traction over night.  After carefully releasing the bow from traction I strung it and gently pulled the bow about 5 times watching the limb for twist.  I stored the bow strung for a couple days, then unstrung it.  I repeated this process until the twist disappeared,(4 or 5 times).  
Might have been unconventional but it worked.  The bow shot great with out any other twisting the rest of the time I owned it.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but what is your draw length and how does the 56" bow handle it? Always wondered about the 56" Kodiaks.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
If Bob doesn't mind;
The description of the 56 inch Kodiak "Note The 56" Kodiak is intended for a shorter draw and has its weight marked at 26 inches.  All other bows are marked at 28" draw length." Given this information  I think it could be potentially detrimental to a 56" Kodiak bow's health to pull it to 28" or beyond.  Just my thoughts.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Mine is marked 27lbs@24". I bought it for the kids. I just got a new string and it needed a rest and rug, even though not year exact.

I bareshafted a few arrows in the basement and drew it about 26". Seemed fine and will make a super bow for kids and the ladies.

Overall, the bow is in really nice shape. Zero stress, no twists, no holes, just a few light surface scratches and it was missing a rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©