INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1955/56 Kodiak  (Read 517 times)

Offline John J

• Trad Bowhunter
1955/56 Kodiak
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Hi,

I would like some information on the value of a Bear Kodiak from either 1955 or 56. I don't own the bow but have a chance to buy it and wonder what you think a fair price is?

Also the bow is not in really good shape. Does it destroy value to refinish it?

Thanks

John
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1955/56 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Could use some more info on the bow,but for a ballpark value,if the bow is in not so good of shape,my guess would be maybe $150-200 at best.A heavier weight of 48-60# would be a plus,and if the leather grip and side plates are still intact and decent,that would help.If it's a '55 it will have decals,a '56 will have silkscreens.All decals intact would help with value as well.
 In my opinion,and everyone may have different thoughts about re-finishing,but I believe re-finishing a bow does diminish it's value a bit as a collectible.But if you plan to shoot this bow,then I don't believe a re-finish would hurt it,especially if the price is right.Also,the '55-'56 Kodiaks are pretty common and don't have a high value to most collectors.Some pics would be great.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Hello John
The approach I use is:  Is the bow rare?  does the particular bow have a historic significance?  Is the condition of the bow such that it would be considered a excellent example of that model and year bow?  If I have to answer yes to any of these three questions then I would hesitate to refinish, and would probably seek out expert advise.  If however I answer no to all three questions, then I would do whatever refinish work makes me happy.  I currently have a 1956 Kodiak which when I purchased it had extensive damage. I almost have finished the repair work and hope to be able to shoot it soon.  As far as price, it really depends on the condition of the bow and how extensive the damage is.  My opinions for what they are worth.  Hope it helps

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
And yes from what I have read here I would consider the advice from "johnnyrazorhead" to be expert advice  :goldtooth:

Offline John J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. The bow is not in very good shape. There are two holes in the back of the riser where I believe sights were installed. The grip is pretty beat up. Also the bow is rated 43# @ 27" so I guess it is a 45# at my draw of 28". The decals are intact though.

How can I tell the difference between decals or silkscreens?

Thanks

John
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Silkscreen:  

Decal:  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©