INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear take down questions  (Read 665 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear take down questions
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Ok, after reading all these Bear T/D post I find myself wanting one pretty bad, I have finally come full circle in archery (started off with Bear bows in the early 70's, played around with all the wheelie bow brands, even dabbled with a crossbow which took all the fun out of bowhunting for me & brought me back to trad archery)

I played with numerous trad bows by a lot of different boyers, I really like two tracks bows, but I also am finding a desire to get back to my roots of vintage Bear bows. I have a couple of  1950's 50# cubs, a 1968 Bear supermag 48, a newer super mag 48. Now that you know my background I will ask my question.

I really have the urge to get a Bear T/D, I want a shorty one as I like & can shot short bows (my two tracks 48 inch ambush & my 48 inch supermags) I only have a 26.5 draw length.

So I guess that means I want the A riser ? What is the shortest Bear T/D setup ?  I'm not rich (but I'm not broke either) so do I buy a vintage one or do I get a newer one ? Obviously I would like the vintage but what can I expect to pay ? I have been sorting thru the BS on the Internet thru google searches & it looks like there was only 800 A risers made ? I assume that means there worth their weight in gold ? (maybe even more ? )

Could I find a vintage riser & use newer limbs ? I consider myself a collector (not a hoarder    :)  ) as I cannot afford to be a hoarder, but I'm not decided if I can even afford to collect even one of these bows so should I just "bite the bullet" & buy an $800 dollar new one or do I "bite the bullet" & remortgage the house & buy a vintage one ? I might have to wait until tax return time    :rolleyes:  

Just looking for advice & help on making this decision on getting a Bear T/D

Thanks,
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear take down questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
The Bear TD's of 2011 and 2012 are remarkable improvements over those of more recent years and shoot every bit as good of those early Graylings.  BTW, those early A wood risers are rare and command prices of $2000 or more.  

Yes, $800 can get you a modern version you will like.  The shortest model for you is the A riser with #1 limbs which make a 56" bow.
Lon Scott

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Or you can get a metal Mag riser for a whole lot less money and they shoot really great with an adjustable side plate, and three different grip styles. Of course, all the limbs interchange.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Big Jim has a "special" A handle left. So you can have the new bow, and the feeling of a future collector as there were only 33 of those error handles made. I would be buying that A riser if I could afford one right now, but I am not willing to see anything I have to obtain it. Good luck with whatever you chose. Ohhh, his handles go for 499.99, and you can find used limbs on the big auction site any time.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Ohh, and the A handle is a Right Hand

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Duplicate post

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Another duplicate post, with my slower connection & all the advertising it causes this iPad to do crazy things    :mad:   I wish I could delete these duplicate posts

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice !  You have given me a lot to think about, I would like the real deal and might just start saving for it, I can at anytime "settle" for a newer version.

I have never looked for one & I make it to some pretty rural antique shops around Michigan (the kind that don't even own a computer & don't know the crazy prices on the auction sites)  in fact I will be going thru Grayling Mi. This Friday, don't know if there are any antique shops, but I sure will check it out !

I am going to hunt around for a vintage one first, I cannot believe $2,000 for a handle    :eek:  

What about if I find one in rough shape & have the bow doc (or any of our reputable repair guys here) give it an overhaul ? Is that an option or is this something to avoid and just go with a new one ?  

Thanks for the advice !
Dan

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
Dan , one on the big auction right now

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Dan,

I have been looking for a Type 1 A riser for a long while, finally found one, as stated above, they command a price. Depends on what you can afford, even if you save the money it could be a long time before you find one for sale, so if you want one now, buy the newer like Big Jim has on his site, those bubinga risers are nice.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
BTW only 500 A handles were made and there is nothing like a GRAYLING A ... NOTHING

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Abear, 500 As from what years? ,how many Bs and Cs? How many Mags? thanks

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
I think I started this post without doing enough homework prior      :(    Then again part of the reason I did post was trying to learn about these bows.

I think I will search a little bit on my adventures here in Michigan looking for a hidden deal, but I can see me buying a newer one within 3 months or so and then saving up for the real deal (a Grayling one ) the newer one will be my shooter, the Grayling one will be my wall hanger !

Thanks for the private messages & emails guys ! I am learning a lot about these bows & the more I learn the more I want one. I guess I better get saving up some money    :jumper:    
Dan

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I would like to know how many B handles were made myself

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shane Reed:
I would like to know how many B handles were made myself
This is what I found out while trying to learn about these bows:
"How many Bear Take-Downs were actually made? In the three years of production, there were 400 "A" models made, 800 "B" models made, and only 300 "C" models. Then why is the "C" the least valuable of the lot even though it is actually the rarest of the Take-Downs? Apparently this is because it is thought of as a target bow rather than a hunting bow by collectors."

Dan

No links to off site message boards please

Offline dkard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
saw Big Jim s post on lwall about the 1 red stripe A so I bought it to go with my red stripe B. Tried to get an A when i got the B but I missed out somehow

dave

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Dkard, I wanted the same thing when I was told that only a couple B risers were left. I don't know how that A riser came about, but I wanted that more than my "special" B riser. I will keep my eyes out for a used "special" A riser to be sold second hand eventually.

Offline dkard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Shane, I reserved and A and a B at the time via e-mail. By the time I called with the CC info, I was told all the A's were gone:(

It just arrived yesterday and it looks pretty nice,

dave

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Very nice Dave! congrats on that one. I would love to have a matching set myself. Have have bigger fish to fry now, but some day. ;o)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©