INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shakespeare Archery  (Read 1267 times)

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Shakespeare Archery
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I have started a blog for collectors of Vintage Shakespeare Archery equipment. Shakespeare made some of the finest equipment of their day, rivaling the famous Bear Bows. I encourage Shakespeare, Root, Jeffery, or any other maker/brand collectors to post, share stories, and share photos of their Shakespeare Archery gear.
please visit:  http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/
I would also like to know of an archery archive since Archeryarchives.com is no longer available.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shakespeare Archery
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
p.m. sent

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Neat!  I have a beautiful zebra wood Super necedah shakespeare.

My brother just picked a few up at a flea market. My dad has a a necedah. They are great bows.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
I had 2 Shakespeare recurves pass thru my possession in the past 30 years, and I loved them both.  Nice workmanship at a great price!
Barry

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:45:00 AM »
I think they are great bows and the prices are always good however since "The Hunger Games" and tv's "revolutions" the prices have risen a lot. The up side is more people are interested in archery.

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
I currently have three Shakespeare bows; a Wonderbow Model 600 (45 lbs), a Cascade (50+ lbs), and a Super Necedah (60 lbs).  

I find that these bows have virtually no hand shock.  My Bear bows have quite a bit of shock and therefore I enjoy shooting the Shakespeare's more than I like the Bear's.  Also, my Cascade shoots a lot flatter than my 50 lb Bear Grizzly.  I really like the feel and shootability of the Shakespeare bows.

I will be checking out you blog.

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Shhhhhhh someone will find out that Shakespeare are better shooting bows, hahah
nice- 60# super Necedah those are scarce, and I have yet to pick up a good lefty Cascade!!!!

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I guess you could say that I was lucky to get my Super Necedah.  I was the only person to bid on it and I got it for $70.00 earlier this year, in May.

It's really a great looking bow... zebrawood riser and tip overlays, black back and belly lams, and no scratches, gouges, or stress cracks.  The bow was real dirty and had a light haze of paint overspray on one limb when I got it but a bit of elbow grease and some Maguire's auto compound, followed by wax, and she's as good as new.

I think that most people shy away from a dirty bow for fear of not knowing how to clean one.

You are right... we ought to keep it "on the down-low" regarding the shooting characteristics.  The price of bows is certainly on an upswing.  No need to add to the inflation.

Thanks for the comment.  And best of luck on finding your lefty Cascade.  They are a cool bow!

Andrew

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Got a bid on one now, hope it doesn't go to high. The wife will shoot me !!

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I think I've seen that one.

Offline BrokenArrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I like 'em too. Had a Super Necedah when they first came out in 68.

I recently traded away two Necedahs, a Kaibab, and a Root Gamemaster from 66/68 to make room for four Bear Tigercats w beautiful Zebrawood risers from 67/68...

All good bows, all good shooters. The late 60s, early 70s were very good years w lottsa good bows.

Nice review on an old X30 here:

http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/shakespear-super-necedah-5028-x-30  

The X30 started out w a Zebrawood riser w Shedua sight window, then they reversed that (Shedua riser, Z window), then they were Wonderwood (similar to Bear's Futurewood, both like Dymondwood), then they were gone, but not forgotten...
>>>>----->

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
My best friend suprised me this Christmas with the gift of a Shakespeare "Ocala" bow....I live in Ocala, Florida and my house is very near to the old Forest Service station, and I live justa few miles from the Ocala National Forest, so he thought it fitting that I should have an "Ocala" bow.  The serial number is K072C....anyone have any idea when this bow was made? The bow is 60" and 45#@28".  I think I have a new hobby, collecting Shakespeare bows!  Thanks in advance folks!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I have a blog which might help:
 http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/

Offline Roddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
The Ocala started out as a 62 in bow and was changed to 60in in 1969. The 1970 catalog shows the glass changing from olive to cinnamon color. This may help you date your bow better or post a picture..

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I love the Ocala and I am about 50 miles from Ocala!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
I have been on the prowl for a 55" Necedah in the 50# range for some time. My 54" Super Necedah has been with me a long time and I love it.

BTW, I enjoyed that Shakespeare blog...  :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
You mean like this Lon?

Jack Shanks

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Beautiful bow!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
That's it Jack!  The bow looks like it's in great condition too, but my eyes could not make out the weight .
Lon Scott

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Lon,

It's 50# and I often wish I still had it. When I first began collecting Bear bows I decided I could do without an off brand. It was the first thing I ever attempted to sell on the auction site. I remember well it brought $56 and the buyer whom I got to know better later lives in Germany. Although I haven't spoken with him in some time he was still enjoying the Shakespeare when we last talked.

All's well that ends well.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©