INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shakespeare Archery  (Read 1266 times)

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shakespeare Archery
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
thevienneau...I checked out your blog, looks like my Ocala is a 1967 model judging by your pics, everything matches up.  Thanks for the help!  As soon as I can get a new string or two made for it, I'll let ya'll know how it shoots.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Have fun with it!! I

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I have the LH sister to that bow. It is indeed a nice shooting bow, with clean, understated good looks.

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
To prevent any misunderstanding, my reply was about the 50# Necedah that Jack showed.

Jack, do you want to switch to LH? :-)

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
ibehiking,

At times I think I may be better off but I think I'll stay righty for now.
Jack Shanks

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I met a past worker for Shakespeare archery a month or so ago.He has a small bicycle shop in Galesburg Michigan.I stop in at a antique shop right next door to his shop & noticed he had a bunch of mounts hanging on his walls along with his bicycles.He is just full of information on the Co.& archery history from the Shakespeare era.He loves to chat archery.If you Shakespeare buffs get close you may want to stop in & chat to him for a bit.

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I saw the blog awhile back and shortly after found a 58" Model x26 Necedah @ 45# at an antique shop.  Looks identical, except for the length, to the one Jack Shanks posted. I enjoy shooting this bow as much as my other recurves. The grip on this bow fits like it was designed for my hand  :D

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
There were two length 55" and 58" both are awesome shooters!!!

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Jack thats a beautiful bow there!
Barry

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey, Great Job on the Shakespeare Blog! I just read the Root Article... good stuff there. It is so important to get the information from those in the know, before too much time goes by and it is lost for good!
Now I need to find a Shakespeare bow to play with!

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks and I couldn't agree more.  I am so glad the Judge Root is sharing his memories.  Have fun bow shopping!!

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
The Shakespeare blog is definitely a good place to acquire information on these bows.  I have learned a lot from the articles, as well as the comments, that are posted on the blog.

Like many of you here I am in search of Shakespeare bows.  The prices continue to rise and finding bows for $100.00 or less is just about a thing of the past.  But the quest is part of the fun.  

I appreciate the time and effort that is, and has been, spent on research and documentation of Shakespeare bows.

Offline Darwin1224

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Hi! I'm a new tradgang member but longtime reader...love this site!

My main shooter is a Shakespeare Necedah. It's 55" & 50#. I bought it online 5 or so years ago for $60. It was an absolute STEAL!!! The little recurve was in phenomenal condition.

I've tried to find information on this bow but haven't found anything too definitive. I am, however, pretty certain that the bow was crafted in 1959 or 1960. I absolutely love that I string up a mint bow that's over 50 years old! Shakespeare really did produce some truly great bows.

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
I have the same length necedah bow at the same weight and I got it at the same price!!! It is one of my favorite bows!!!

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Rick, nice to see you posting. Larry, I enjoyed your blog, it has helped fill in some gaps. I am still not sure how the Root/Shakespeare transition worked, what is the last year a Root archery bow was available?
Lucas Kent

Offline theviennneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Lots of holes I need to fill too. I know that Root Archery was still making bows while Ernie was working with Shakespeare. Ernie's son has shed a lot of light on the history. For many years people have believed that Shakespeare bought Root. The truth is that Root was still alive and kicking. Ernie left Shakespeare when the whole company relocate to South Carolina. Ernie quit rather than more. he was right because the company didn't last long there. Ernie continued to perfect the Golden Eagle target bow.

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of archery and bowhunting, but I'm learning - and I've fallen hard for a Shakespeare Ocala with twisted limbs that I picked up for a song off CL. It looks to be one of the later models I think, and needs some rehabilitation before I can start shooting seriously with it. Does anyone else find that the broad limbs on the Shakespeare bows are prone to twisting? I would hate to have to relegate such a bow to life as a wall-hanger, considering that the few test shots I've fired were smooth like butter, and it fits my hand like I was born with it.
"With all the grace and aerodynamic prowess of a heavily-laden cinderblock..."

Offline lolvo240

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Update: I'm officially hooked on these bows - especially the "bonus" Sierra X-18 I got with the stock Sierra X-18 I ordered. The bonus bow has slightly smaller tips, a nicer grain in the riser material, and is marked with a "II" in addition to the length and poundage (52", 45#), as well as "Custom tuned for Christopher Welsh" written under the finish on the side of the grip. It's a nice bow, and it draws so smoothly that I almost doubt it's actually a 45 pounder.

(I'll post pics soon!)
"With all the grace and aerodynamic prowess of a heavily-laden cinderblock..."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©