INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tamerlane & Polar recurves?  (Read 675 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tamerlane & Polar recurves?
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Hello, my wife has shown an interest in starting to shoot a trad bow. In the past she was a very good wheel bow shot but has not shot in many years. Ive been looking around and think she would like the looks of a Tamerlane or Polar recurve, looks are important to her.  :dunno:    

I'm looking at around 66" at 30 to 35#.

My questions are all else being equal which one is a better built bow, any history of failures or things like that and what would a guy expect to pay for one of these in reasonably good shape?

Thank you for your help.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tamerlane & Polar recurves?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Tamerlane was top of the line for Bears target bows. With that being said there is nothing wrong with the Polar either. Both good shooting and made with nice woods for eye appeal and mass weight. You will find many made in the mid 1960's in the 66" and #'s you are looking for. FITA was very popular and these bows were used a lot on the College scene up through the early 70's. Prices can vary but the Tamerlane fetches the top doller of the two.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
As you probably know, those Tamerlanes can be found with a lot of wood in the riser or much less.  For a youngster or woman, I'd go with the more petite version.  

Prices can vary, but it seems an average price for a Tamerlane is about $250...and that's darn reasonable for a top of the line target bow.

Bows in pic NOT for sale.

Lon Scott

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
You might want to look at Kodiak Specials from the 63 -67 period...
Lucas Kent

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Polar second from left and then a couple of the Tamerlanes. I agree that the Kodiak Special from this era is another good one to look at and that all of these bows can be picked up at very reasonable prices.  

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Thank you very much for the information.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Don't forget the Bear Temijun and Tartar target bows, not quite as fancy as the Tamerlane, but still very nice.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I think the 1963 Polar was a very nice looking bow with bubinga riser with zebrawood i-beam...also many will argue that the 1962 Kodiak Special was the best bow that Bear ever produced...I gave mine to a friend to get him back into shooting a recurve because I knew he would love shooting it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Bearbowman has one or sale on Stickbow  66" RH 38# for $200. It is listed under Fire Sale, (I wanta  boat)

Offline ncheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Larry m:
Polar second from left and then a couple of the Tamerlanes. I agree that the Kodiak Special from this era is another good one to look at and that all of these bows can be picked up at very reasonable prices.    
Holy Cow!  The 3 in the middle, starting with the 3rd on the left and the next two to the right....GORGEOUS!   That is certainly on my wish list.
Please tell me what years those three are.

Richard
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men
do nothing."

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Looked at Tamerlanes for a fun 3d and form bow.  Ended up with a Wing Slim Pro Master from here and could not be happier.  Don't get me wrong an early Tamerlane is still on the want list but you don't have to stay with a Bear product.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Tamerlanes are kind of heavy (heft) so you may want to lean towards the Polar.  Both are very nice bows.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Definitely NOT an HC-30 for a lady.  Really heavy weight in hand with the all penolic riser.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©