INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New/old grizzly  (Read 524 times)

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
New/old grizzly
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
After getting off work today and driving through town, I passed a yard sale and a couple of unstrung recurve bows caught my eye.  I turned around, and went back and sure enough, there were two bows out there on a table of junk.  One was a bear grizzly, the other a wing hunter.  I looked at them, and they both looked good, so I asked the fella what he wanted for them, and he said 10.00 apiece.  I asked him to hang on to the grizzly and I would run to the atm and be right back.  Had talked myself into buying both, but the wing had been sold by the time I got back.  Anyway, I know nothing about recurves, I love my Jim Reynolds Thunderstick III, so I don't know how I'll like this recurve.  

Was curious if some of you pros could answer a question or two, like how old this bow is, serial number is KR9688, has a coin on riser of a bear.  Black glass limbs, in really nice shape.  Also curious if I'll have any issue with finger pinch, 58" bow and I draw 29-29.5".

If nothing else, I'll put a bow reel in the threaded insert and have a nice fishing rig.

Thanks for any replies.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New/old grizzly
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I have no clue on age and the xperts will likly want to know what coin color design on decals and where made and such but you darn sure did good on the find and I would thjnk she should handle 29.5 draw alright what was the pounds on her

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
50 #

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
How about what length string to order?

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I have the exact same bow but number KR68866.It's a early 1971 or 72 Grizzly I believe with the flat coin Madallion also...I think the black glass is the prettiest one of the grizzly's myself...You did real good for $10.00  :thumbsup:

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
James,
  You mentioned you know nothing about recurves but if you know anything about a flemish twist strings and how they work  I'll send you the one on the bow I have cause I'm about to make another for it...It's pretty new and B-50 dacron ...It's yours if you want it and just send me your address and I'll get it out to ya this week....
Keefer's <><

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Only thing I know about strings is you put it on the bow and shoot it.  I am open to instruction and would love to get the string from you.  Could get the bow shooting and I'll know what length to order next time.

Are strings hard to make?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©