INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Question on Bear bow marked draw weight  (Read 522 times)

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Question on Bear bow marked draw weight
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
I just picked up what I believe is a 62 Polar.  It has a Zebrawood riser and yellow glass on the limbs with a black coated coin.
It's marked 40lb@24"   and its 56" long - my question is:   Did Bear build bows like this custom and designed at a 24" maximum draw- or did they initially build them at the more standard 28" draw and just take a bow that was approximately 52lb@28" and mark it down at the lowered draw length?
This little bow has really surprised me with how cool it is and I'd really like to be able to shoot it at my 28"draw.  I've already gently strung her up and eased her back to about 27".  Let me repeat VERY SLOWLY but I just don't want to push my luck to much.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!  I'll try to get some pictures up soon - but work and Whitetail hunting  in the October woods in MN must come first   :)  

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on Bear bow marked draw weight
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
The 56" Polars were marketed as a lady's bow I believe. Thus the shorter draw length marked.
Jack Shanks

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
It sounds like you have what collectors call a Lady Polar.I have one & it was a bow that was ordered at Bear archery..They are a sweetheart to shoot.As well as gorgeous.Its a smaller version of the 66" Polar.From what I'm told You could call Bear archery give them the weight & draw length you wanted & they would send the bow to you.I dont know if they built it after you ordered it or had them in stock at differant  weight ranges.In the Bear catalog it states that the draw length limit on a 56" Polar is 28".Most of the risers are made from Babinga & Zebra wood.I am no expert on bows but from what I see They were made from 63-70.Mine has what looks like the Nickel silver coin.Maybe someone put paint on yours or you have a early pewter coin.Not sure...Hope this helps.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Terry - yours is a 62 Polar.  Back then, they did not mark the 56" bows as "Lady Polar", but I'd be willing to bet, most went to women and kids.  If you got this bow off the big auction, I was watching it and planning on bidding, but. as usual, got sidetracked and forgot about.  It appeared to be a very sweet condition bow.  Glad you got it.

As my wife has this one, I was seriously thinking about getting the one you got for a His & Hers combo:

I have yet to see one that was not weight marked @24".  You should be fine at 28".  I would not draw one beyond that!

Rick Enos - all the 62 Polars were zebrawood.  It was only the second bow that Bear made with all zebrawood (after 61 Special).  Most are three-piece, but I know a collector just south of me that picked up one identical to my wife's bow at this year's Whittingham shoot that is a ONE piece riser and has outrageous zebrawood.  I'm sure his daughter is in love with that bow!

They are great shooting bows.  Congrats Terry on getting that bow.  Post some photos when you get a chance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
OK I see...I thought you were talking about this bow.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
I was pretty sure that the Polars with these shorter marked draw lengths and overall shorter lengths were marketed at women or possibly kids.

Tony - that's the bow and you are correct that it is in excellent condition - I'm glad you missed the end of the auction  :)   My wife has a sweet 61 Kodiak Special that is her pride and joy!

Like I said earlier I've been taking it real slow and I can tell that this bow is probably OK at my 28" draw - but just by feel I can agree with not drawing one past that.  It is a snappy, smooth shooter - maybe I'm getting in touch with my feminine side    :scared:   - but I really like this bow.

Tony - if I end up deciding I want to let her go - I'll let you have first shot.

Thanks for the info guys.

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Thanks Terry.  When I was tuning arrows for my wife's bow, I absolutely fell in love with the bow.  It's pulling well into the 30s for me so it is still pretty light, but it surely flings an arrow.

I do know where there is another at the moment that is available.  I believe Tom Phillips still has his 56" 62 Polar for sale.  His is in the range of 24 or 26# @24".

They are perfect ladies or kids bows at those weights.  Not to mention the "classic" factor!

Terry - yours is the heaviest one that I have seen marked at 24".
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
For reference, here's a scan from a 1962 advert:

Sorry for the poor resolution on the fine print.

It gives the Draw Limit for the 66" model as being 33 inches and the Draw Limit for the 56" model as being 28 inches.

It says that the weights for the 66" were marked at 28 inches and the weights for the 56" were marked at 24 inches.

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Mike - thanks for posting the great ad picture -  no better place than here to get a question answered!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©