3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching questions...sorry another  (Read 676 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching questions...sorry another
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Heya all sorry for all these questions I hate to bother ya'll but I dont have any shops nearby anymore to go to and experiment so I need to order most stuff online and want to try and sort it all out prior to purchase.

First question is if I wanted to fletch up some heavy woodies what length feather would ya'll recommend?  I will be fletching some 2016s w/ 4x4 sheilds.  But for the woodies I was wondering what size fletching I should use being its a much larger shaft and what not.  Was thinking 3 5 1/2 nannas but what would happen if I were to put 4 5 1/2 nannas on there?  Would that cause to much drag on the arrow?  I have a hard time picking up arrow flight with my eyes no matter the color so I wanted some high profile fletchings on these to be sure I can see em and figured 4x5+ would work with a helicle.  As you can tell I could care less about speed.

Second I see people talking about some ratio numbers when they talk about fletching ie 90/90 60/120 etc etc.  I have no idea what its refering to and was wondering if ya'll could explain what it is and the role it plays in fletching/arrow flight?

Third is glue on wood shafts.  Is it the same I would use on the aluminums?  I will be using fletch tape but also want to try the more traditional way of tube glue so I picked up some fletch tite just to see the differences.  I will be using ferril lite for the points on the alum would that be Ok for the woodies as well?

If and when I have more questions I will update this thread as to not clutter the rest of the board with all my dumb questions so tune in often lol.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching questions...sorry another
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Four big nanners is a bunch of feather.  They do slow the arrow down quite a bit.  I'm not sure you're going to see them any better than you will just using three.  I'd put a flo-green nock on the back with three nanners as that really helps your eye pick up flight.

90/90 and 60/120 are just the four fletch feather placement on the shaft.  To describe it in words, feathers in a 90/90 would look like a plus (+) and 60/120 look like a sideways (X).

It's hard to beat Duco Cement for gluing up feathers to woodies.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I would suggest three 5 inch feathers. There is really no need for any more feather on any shaft It will just cost more and make your arrow heavier and slower.
As for seeing the arrow in flight I find that orange is the best for me but people are different.
And another thing. Your questions are not dumb. They are good questions and most people here are more than happy to help. ASK AWAY.

John

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
heya guys thanks!!! for the replies once i fletch my aluminums i will see which colors my eyes pick up on b/c im going to use several different types and ill go from there.

molson TY now I get the ratio thing LOL i was sooo confused!  is there a difference in performance with all the ratios?  or is it just looks?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
I'd recommend three 5-inch as well.  That's worked for me on woodies of all weights for more than 40 years.  If you want to see your arrow in flight, you can get those colored rabbit fur strips that fasten to the arrow right behind the fletch.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Which ever you use the 3 5" or 4 4", use all the same color. It looks like a little round ball of color going down range. And a crown dip the same color as the feathers helps also.

Alan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I like 75/105 came stock with my Jo-Jan's multi-fletcher. I also use fletch tape... I agree with The Whittler about using all one color when doing 4 fletching. When using 2 colors it looks like the arrow is all over the place.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
i will be experimenting with all chartruse and all pink for starters and am thinking of even trying orange but we will see about the colors after my first dozen is done.

tomorrow i will be building a new work bench to organize all my new supplies and have a decent setup.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I have a martin fletcher and I am pretty sure it does a 60/120 4 fletch and I like it more than the 90/90 that I have shot. Just seems like you get better fletching clearance. But I have recently gone back to a three fletch just cause its cheaper to fletch an arrow three feathers instead of four.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
I like three five inch shield cut. Two white one chartreuse.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I can't say this to be 100% accurate because I haven't used them all, but I would think you can do 60/120 on about any jig that you can do three fletch on.  For sure any "Bitz" type jig.

It is said that you can lower your nock point with a 60/120 and still reduce shelf contact.  Personally, I've never noticed a difference but looking at the way they sit, I can see why someone else might.

I like to use a 60/120 for my flu's just because I don't feel like messing with my jig.  They work just as well as the 90's.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline bearfootin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
Hey Thomas, try this site and look under "other great tips". Might help a little!!   Lloyd
 www.arrowsbykelly.com
GIT -R- DONE

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
bearfootin thanks now it makes ALOT of sense!

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
On another thought I don't think you should be consciously trying to see the arrow in flight. Rather you should concentrate fully on the target spot and watch the arrow hit the spot.
If you are trying to watch the arrow in flight it will screw with your form.

John

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Outwest:
On another thought I don't think you should be consciously trying to see the arrow in flight. Rather you should concentrate fully on the target spot and watch the arrow hit the spot.
If you are trying to watch the arrow in flight it will screw with your form.

John
My apologies john a big part of it has to do with 3D and recovering lost arrows LOL.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
I just did  a couple of four fletch arrows for my buddy. I used an arizona easy fletcher of all things. Seems they can do 60/120 just by applying two, spining the arrow a half turn and applying the other two. Amazing what you can find out reading directions eh???  :cool:  
Anyway, it seems to me that any combo you have mentioned would be enough feather. I find that colors that stand out more AFTER the shot help me find the most arrows.  Usually I miss if Im too worried about losing an arrow.
Either way, have fun! Woodies get adddictive...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
As someone said, four big feathers can slow the arrow down rapidly, but depends on what you are doing with them.  For 3D with some longer shots, probably too much.  But I personally like extra feather on my broadheads and since I don't take shots over 20 yards, I don't feel they are a problem.  Steve

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
OK I've got another one for ya...

I was going to order wraps and realized I didn't know the size needed to fit around my 2016's.

What diameter should the wraps be?  My options are..

This is all real new to me so until I get this first dozen out of the way its all a learning process.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
bump...

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Can't help you on the wraps, but some masking tape and spray paint will crest them easily!  Add a variable speed drill for some basic cresting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©