INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Exhibit @ Gun Show  (Read 538 times)

Offline Windsurfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Exhibit @ Gun Show
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Last weekend I was invited to display my collection of Bear Kodiak bows at a gun show in Grayling MI.  After talking with "Sledshed" Pete who declined to join me I really didn't know what to expect.  Would anyone be interested? would anyone even stop and look at the exhibit that was intended to honor Fred Bear and the employees that worked for him during the 1950's and 60's?  Funny when you try to give how much you receive.

Well, I set up on Friday the night before the event and CJ who organized the event said to be there by 8:30 next morning since it would be busy and the show opened at 9:00 AM.  To make a long story short I got there on time and didn't get a break till about 2:30 or 3:00 that afternoon.  Many people stopped by to look at the bows, hold them, take pictures, ask questions and talk.  The best part was that 6 or 8 employees, a couple close friends of Fred, stopped and shared stories about their job at the plant, memories of Fred and some of the things that went on back then.  After looking at the bows for several minutes one man said "I made those bows."  I nearly fell over.  This individual worked at a station in the plant and literally shaped and finsihed the tips of all my Kodiaks from 1959 through 66.  Another man was an engineer who had an office right next to Fred.  He told me how Fred came to him one day and asked him to design a "take down" arrow.  Well, that never happened but they did give it a try.  Sure would like to find one of those prototypes.  Another person was responsible for all the fiberglass R&D and formulations.  He told me how Bear manufactured the coil springs for early Corvettes.  It was an incredible day and best of all, the people that my collection was being displayed to honor for showed up and shared their wonderful memories and experiences working with Fred.  Looking for an opportunity to do it again.  Just had to share this with others who might enjoy hearing about what happened.  Dave

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Exhibit @ Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Dave you should have took some photos of your dispay to show on this site, I would have liked to see my Kodiak deluxethat I sold you, how are you doing my friend? Ron.

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I wish I could of been there.I would love to here all the stories that you heard from the Bear employees.
David Janssen

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Windsurfer:
Last weekend I was invited to display my collection of Bear Kodiak bows at a gun show in Grayling MI.  After talking with "Sledshed" Pete who declined to join me I really didn't know what to expect.  Would anyone be interested? would anyone even stop and look at the exhibit that was intended to honor Fred Bear and the employees that worked for him during the 1950's and 60's?  Funny when you try to give how much you receive.

Well, I set up on Friday the night before the event and CJ who organized the event said to be there by 8:30 next morning since it would be busy and the show opened at 9:00 AM.  To make a long story short I got there on time and didn't get a break till about 2:30 or 3:00 that afternoon.  Many people stopped by to look at the bows, hold them, take pictures, ask questions and talk.  The best part was that 6 or 8 employees, a couple close friends of Fred, stopped and shared stories about their job at the plant, memories of Fred and some of the things that went on back then.  After looking at the bows for several minutes one man said "I made those bows."  I nearly fell over.  This individual worked at a station in the plant and literally shaped and finsihed the tips of all my Kodiaks from 1959 through 66.  Another man was an engineer who had an office right next to Fred.  He told me how Fred came to him one day and asked him to design a "take down" arrow.  Well, that never happened but they did give it a try.  Sure would like to find one of those prototypes.  Another person was responsible for all the fiberglass R&D and formulations.  He told me how Bear manufactured the coil springs for early Corvettes.  It was an incredible day and best of all, the people that my collection was being displayed to honor for showed up and shared their wonderful memories and experiences working with Fred.  Looking for an opportunity to do it again.  Just had to share this with others who might enjoy hearing about what happened.  Dave
I enjoyed this very much and thank you for sharing it here.
Would love to see pics if any were taken.

.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Dave,

Would have been nice to meet those employees and hear the stories. Would be nice to attend if you set up again in Grayling at another event. Hopefully not during hunting season.
Jack Shanks

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the story. I would love to see pics of your display.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
Lon Scott

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Dave, Great story and super that you could share this with the public and tradgang. I, too wish you had pictures. Thanks
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
wow, what a great experience!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Very Neat!!!!  :)  
I always look for old bows at gun shows. To have stumbled onto your table certainly would have been a treat. If you have any pictures that would certainly make this post all the better.
Thanks for sharing your very nice experience...

Offline Windsurfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Pictures posted on new topic

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Good for you!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement