INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: bear td riser  (Read 705 times)

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
bear td riser
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
For those of you who have settled for a new or newer riser, do they feel and perform like the vintage ones?
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Redtail2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear td riser
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Kenny, I have several bear takedowns (old and new) and several sets of limbs. The risers are all about feel some have smaller/thinner grips some are thicker. The limbs are the preformance difference. The fastest factory limbs I have shot are the newer fast flight limbs. Put B50 string on these (new) limbs and the older ones seem to preform just as well. The only thing I found out about the older limbs is you should check poundage. They may be a different poundage than what is written on them. Bottom line old and new are both great and you would not be settling. Either performs with most bows on the market. IMHO

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I'll give my opinion based on owning  8 different T/D and is the only bow I own and shoot now. I shoot skinny FF on all bows and shoot 11 to 12 grains per pound( A whole nother discussion). Having said that .....they ALL shoot great. I think the brand new ones shoot very well , but my opinion is the fit and finish should be better for the price. The price of shooting a nostalgic 30 to 40 year old bow can be high ... or very reasonable ( Mag riser with any limbs....could be under 500).A lot of options....grips, riser lengths, limb lengths , aftermarket limbs. So performance I feel is comparable, they all kill. What does nostalgia "feel" like? Feels good to me

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Have to Agree with Kuch. I have the Brand new "special" B riser, and an old signed type 1 B riser. I don't know why, but the type 1 just feels better to me. Of course the grip is not the same. Type 1 is  fatter which I like more.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I prefer the wider grips wich the older ones seem to have. My Bubinga riser is quite narrow. They all shoot well, but I shoot better with the wider ones.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Agree they all shoot well, but I just seem to shoot the Green stripe B riser the best.  Was always a short high performance bow junkie, but have fallen in love with my 60" green stripe with green tip limbs.  It is just such a stable, forgiving and accurate bow for me to shoot.  

I would suggest it is all about the $$$.  The newer handles are usually cheaper and will get the job done.  The older bows usually cost more $$ and still get the job done.  Did I confuse you some more??    "[dntthnk]"
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
My thoughts.....

The Grayling wood handles are very special and nothing feels quite like them.
They are in their own category.
Maybe because they started it all. Maybe it's because PapaBear used it exclusively since its inception and gives us a connection to Him?

The new models are every bit as dependable and hunt worthy as any vintage models.
At 800 bucks, you can't go wrong!

My personal favorites are the early green stripe wood risers with thick laminations and an amazing grip / shelf.
These handles are bulletproof as are the early green tip limbs which will keep up with any bow being made today.

I will be sharing a very special wood B riser that I recently acquired with you guys as soon as I can.

......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments, all are highly valued.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
That was kinda what I was getting at Phil, but as usual you said it much more eloquently
  :thumbsup:
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©