INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2 of Howard Hill's bows  (Read 577 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
2 of Howard Hill's bows
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Thought I would share some pics of two of Howard's bows:

The gentleman said he got the bow directly from Craig Ekin. He has a handwritten letter from Craig about the bow. The name on the bow is "The Charm" so Howard must have liked this one! He does not know the draw weight of the bow but said, "it looks like a brute, with thick limbs.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 of Howard Hill's bows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
"The second Hill bow I got directly off of Gene Wensel. I used to stay in close contact with Gene, but I kind of lost track of him, through his moves.
I have a letter on his own letterhead talking about this bow, in his own handwriting. The tip was broken at one time, but you can't tell without close inspection. Except for a tiny pie shaped piece missing from the place where the tip broke off. It is either dugame (lemonwood) or lancewood backed with rawhide.It is a very early Hill bow, made in 1931 by Howard Hill while he lived in Florida. Legends Bert Grayson and John Schulz, who worked with Howard, assured Gene that it was legit. It is a BEAUTIFUL bow!!! It came from the collecting legend Bert Grayson Collection, who had it in his museum. He got it directly from Hill."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for posting these.    :archer2:

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Both Very Nice pieces of cool History. Really like the older bow with the horn nocks. Boy the stories that one could tell.. Thanks!!  :)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I wonder the draw weight? I know it's a fantasy, but  i don't know if i could resist the temptation to draw one of those .... to draw one of Hill's bows....that would be memorable !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©