3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons Treesharks too big ???  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons Treesharks too big ???
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Looking at the Simmons 190 Tree Sharks. They look like a great Turkey head but I am curious if anyone uses them on deer. If so please list your bow weight and finished arrow weight. I am shooting a 56# bow and wondering if that is enought to get that 2 inch steak knife through a deer. Any pics of entrance exit holes would be interesting to see as well.
Go Terps

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons Treesharks too big ???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
You'll get a good response on this one!

-Charlie

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I have seen some pretty mean holes made by them, but I have never used them myself.

I have seen some pics from James Wren and Robert Carter that were pretty convincing.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Shot clear through a 120# field dressed doe this year with a GT 55/75 w/a Treeshark w/125 gr. adapter for 297 gr. up front, using a 47# Super Diablo, if your bows tuned right they fly just like a field point and leave a really big hole..could stick 4 fingers in the entry and exit wound.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Shot 2 does this year. 51# Zipper, I'm probably only getting 49# out of it. Footed cedars. I'll have to recheck the weight, 4 fletch and thet flew great. Massive holes, better blood trails then my '06.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
I am looking at the screw in models and wonder how far down over the shaft they come. Anyone know? Also lets see some damage photos
Go Terps

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
I have thought about trying the treeshark on black bear.  I have shot bear with a snuffer but not alot of blood trail.  I thought the treeshark will leave a better blood trail. Any one use them an bear.  I shot a 65 lb LB 700 gr arrow.
capt eddie

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
At your poundage I would not give it a second thought.Just use them.They will penitrate as well as most any other broadhead hunting deer and hogs and better than most of the 3 blades guys use.They just cut bigger holes so you don't have to bend over tracking if for some reason you don't see them fall.  :)  jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
capt eddie - no broadhead leaves a better blood trail than the snuffer, in my experience - so don't look for the treeshark to be better than the snuffer on that - but it might be almost as good - and may penetrate a little better than the snuffer.

The tree shark is a good broadhead. I've killed several deer with it with bows in the 50 lb. range.

I recommend using the glue on version.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Wally - why would you recommend the glue on version over the screw on version?
Go Terps

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
The ferrule on the glue on is longer - making it stronger. Also, the screw on rides back on your arrow shaft which I don't like.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Not to mention the fact that the screw-on model could techniquely be considered a "barbed" head, making it illegal in most states...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Bowspirit,
I think they eliminated the solved the barbed problem when the redesigned the original screw-on interseptors and created the vented ones. Go back and look at the old original heads and I think you will see the difference.
Brack Shooter,
There is a recent posting of a Zipper/Tree Shark combination.  Check out the doe in that posting.
Not to mention, James Wrenn has some mean pictures that show what a simmons head can do.  And if your going to shoot carbons or aluminums, then don't be afraid of the schrew in heads.  I've found that when using them I don't have to worry weather they spin true or not.  They fly great.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Would anyone use the Treesharks out of bows in the low 40# range?Thanks for the advice.
David Janssen

Online Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Brack shooter, the screw on model extends over the shaft about an inch.  I too would recommend using the glue-on model.  In my experience the screw on Treeshark will bend after one shot on game.  one of the blades that extends over the shaft is what bends.  The glue-on sharks also seem to sharpen easier.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Yeah I like the glue-ons better too.Stronger and you don't have to have yopur arrows cut longer to use them.David I draw around 27" and shoot bows in the mid 40s range.Most times around 44lbs at my draw.I have had no problem useing the treesharks on deer or hogs.Unless spine shot all but one kill has been a passthrough.That one was a pretty long shot on a good size hog and the broadhead did exit but the arrow stayed in.He only took 3 steps anyway. :)This was 35yds with a 44lb DAS recurve.If you look close you can see the treeshark sticking out the front of the offside shoulder in the dirt.So mid 40s will work.  ;)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
This one was a closer shot but the treeshark blew throung both shoulder blades at the thickest ridge and I never found my arrow.About 15yds broadside shot on her.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
And last but not least, this is my first deer with the treeshark.This was with the screw-in head and bleeders.The shot was 17yds from the tree.I shot her behind the tree and had one hand on each side of the trunk so had to short draw.It was about 35@22" for the shot.This is going in.  
and this is where it came out.  :)

OK enough blood for one day.  :biglaugh:  Treesharks are just some great broadheads that will give snuffer like damage without pulling as much weight to do it.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Whoa!!!! I've seen hole smaller than that from a shot with a 280.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
how hard are the simmons heads to sharpen.

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©