INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Howatts compared to Martins  (Read 813 times)

Offline Zing 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Howatts compared to Martins
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
It has been said that Daman Howatt bows are 3+ pounds more than they are labeled.  I’m curious if any one else has compared the older Howatt designs with the newer Martin bows.  The only side by side comparison that I’ve done is with the Hunter model.  I have a Howatt Hunter (1960’s – 70’s) 52# which is more like 55+ # and a Martin Hunter (2008) at 50# that feels like it is 50 ish.  Are the Martin bows labeled more accurately than their older predecessors?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howatts compared to Martins
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
There has been much discussion on other threads and sites about this topic with a majority of folks believing Howatt bows tend to weigh heavier than marked.  It seems everyone has personally owned or seen a mismarked Howatt.

Larry Hatfield, who has been with Howatt/Martin for more than 50 years, will still say they were accurately marked with no intentional low marking.

My guess is they "may" have measured the weight from the front of the riser instead of the inside of the grip.  Of all the Howatts I have had experience with, "most" are pretty accurate.

BTW, other makers of bows...such as Bear...have been rumored to have been marked lower than actual weight.

Most likely proof of the theory will never be proven.  :dunno:
Lon Scott

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Concur with Lon on measurement issue with Howatts.

Lon, I picked up another Monterey to go with the one I got from you.

Dave
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Jack howard's bows are all around 3# heavier than marked. This is because when jack weighed his bows he hung them on the scale then reset the scale to zero. Maybe Howatt did the same thing?

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I personally never scaled the howatts I owned but they all felt heavier than marked.
The Damon Howatt bows of old were remarkable bows.

......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a difference in the way they shoot. They look pretty much the same design.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Martin bought Howatt in 1976 along with the equipment and employees, so shooting is the same IMO.
Lon Scott

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I had a Howatt Ventura that was marked 40 and scaled 38 pounds.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Damon Howatt himself died in 1965.  Larry Hatfield kept the place running.

Attrition may have started then as his staff moved on; you also have guys like Bill Stewart who worked for Howatt, Bear, Wing and then went off on his own.  

When D. Howatt Co. moved from Yakima to Walla Walla I think some talent was lost, but by then most anyone who had ever worked with Mr. Howatt was gone anyway.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©