INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Root Target Master Info?  (Read 755 times)

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
Root Target Master Info?
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
I recently acquired this '50s model Root Target Master and want to refinish it.  It's 68", 45# @ 28",serial #TM 8777. The serial number is stamped in the riser so I believe it was made in the 1950s from what I've been able to learn.

Can someone tell me what kind of rest and back plate it had originally?  I'd like to redo it as close to the original as possible.  And if anyone knows exactly what year this one was made or anything else about it's history, I would appreciate the information.  Thanks!  

Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Root Target Master Info?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I picked up one like that a couple years ago and found it shot very well.  Sorry, but I do not have info on the rest/side plate.

Bowyer and author Fred Anderson was intrigued by the bow and always liked Ernie Root's bows.  Fred, thinking it was a 1955-56 model, managed to get it away from me for his collection.
Lon Scott

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
I have 2 of them like your's and was told they were 55-56 models also.  Love the 46# , the other is a 50. It shoots very nice also, I am not sure if the rest/plates are original or not.  Hope to hear more here on these great bows.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
The rest and side plate shown in this image are ones I added after receiving the bow.  The ones that came on the bow were definitely not original either.  If anyone can share more history about these bows, I would really like to be educated :-)

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
I have a couple of them that are newer than yours. Probably early 60's. One has a short feather rest and no side plate and looks to be original.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I'm by no means telling you what to do but unless there is some issue that you are not showing that bow is in REALLY nice shape. I would leave it as is.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I agree with truscarawas, it is is real nice original shape so I'd tend ot leave it alone. Maybe hit the wood in the riser with some Howard's Restore-A-Finish to make it come alive and polish up the glass with Scratch Out.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Bows in nice original condition like that one just have more appeal to most of us.  However, replacing the rest/side plate with a "copy" of the original is OK in my book.
Lon Scott

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new from the factory here in Big rapids Mich. in 1962.  It has the draw weight and info printed on the bow, the older ones had the info stamped into the bow.  He said it came with a feather rest on the shelf.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the info and thoughts folks.  Here's the situation with the bow.  It IS in very good shape except for the finish.  The angle I shot it does not show the very, very thin finish well.  There is some flaking of the finish in the riser.  On the other hand, there are no stress cracks, no limb twist and the tip overlays are in good shape.  The leather grip is in excellent shape and I would not dare try to remove it.

My concern is that the finish is so thin that I was thinking the wood needed better protection.  I was thinking about a light sanding and finish with Tru-Oil.  Additional comments and thoughts would be appreciated.  I certainly don't want to do anything to hurt this piece of archery history.  I have really enjoyed shooting it in the past week.

Sharing your knowledge and information is appreciated.

Drew

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Drew your Target Master is from the 57 to 59 time fram. Root did not change their bows every year. Yours is the stander model by the number of wood lamanations in the riser. The deluxe model would have bee an overdraw type, center shot handle with four to five more strips of wood. I have emailed a scan of a 58-59 anderson Archery catalog. Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©