3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I havent forgot about you guys  (Read 655 times)

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
I havent forgot about you guys
« on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Haven't been on here much in a while but have been prowling the forum checking out the Highlights for 2007 and im really impressed you guys are really laying them down! Congrats to everyone. Yet another hunting season passes and I wasn't in the woods with my recurve or longbow. Still trying to work on my anchoring problem but im starting to get it under control at 10 yards but still having some serious target panic at 20 yards but its starting to come around im getting closer and closer to the corner of my mouth. God willing ill get it fixed so I can chase rabbits in a few weeks or attempt to.

Anyhow you guys should start seeing more of me around here now that deer season is just about over here in NY and im going to start shooting my trad bows a lot more. Again congrats to everyone who took some real nice animals and for those who haven't good luck next year!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I havent forgot about you guys
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
Let me get this straight---your only interested in traditional archery when the hunting season is off?

And what exactly wasn't ethical about having your Ferguson longbow that day? I'm just curious is all.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »
Don't mean to start anything but if a  person doesn't have the confidence to take an animal cleanly with a trad bow then they have my respect for recognizing their limitations and not just flinging arrows.JMHO.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »
I agree completely. Just wondering is all.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
2Blade:

Been at this a couple decades and have never heard of a target panic issue that couldn't be resolved in short order by using either a lighter weight bow and/or a "Clicker". If you have this under control at ten yards, but are still struggling at twenty yards, it sounds more like a concentration issue.

A lighter bow will help you achieve full draw. But if you are physically capable of comfortably achieving full draw (which it sounds like you are), then the issue isn't bow weight, it's concentration. In this instance- you may find the use of a "Clicker" helpful. If another hunting season has passed you by (i.e. another year?) and the issue still isn't under control, you may want to consider diverging from your current method of practice.

Don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, just trying to help you get past this target panic issue because it sounds as though it's importantant to you. In the meantime, by all means, hunt with whatever gives you the most confidence.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
Nick, keep up with the practice and you will gain your form and confidence. Small game hunting is great practice, not only do you get shots at game but you can kill a few stumps along the way. You should try to make it to the Bunny hunt, it's great practice and good fun with some good people. If you work hard I'm sure when bow season rolls back around you will have the confidence to hunt with trad. If you don't that is OK, how you hunt and enjoy the outdoors doesn't matter as long as your having fun doing it. Impress yourself not others, good luck with those bunnies.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Sorry what I ment was is that my shooting hasnt been anywhere near good for hunting so what I ment by not ethical is that more then likeley I would have made a bad shot or missed the buck that day. I want to make sure im shooting my best before I try to take a shot at a deer or any animal. Thats why im hoping to get the hang of my anchor point so I can try to chase rabbits. Sorry if I upset anyone should have been more clear
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Labs4me:
2Blade:

Been at this a couple decades and have never heard of a target panic issue that couldn't be resolved in short order by using either a lighter weight bow and/or a "Clicker". If you have this under control at ten yards, but are still struggling at twenty yards, it sounds more like a concentration issue.

A lighter bow will help you achieve full draw. But if you are physically capable of comfortably achieving full draw (which it sounds like you are), then the issue isn't bow weight, it's concentration. In this instance- you may find the use of a "Clicker" helpful. If another hunting season has passed you by (i.e. another year?) and the issue still isn't under control, you may want to consider diverging from your current method of practice.

Don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, just trying to help you get past this target panic issue because it sounds as though it's importantant to you. In the meantime, by all means, hunt with whatever gives you the most confidence.
Ive been doing shooting at very close range and ive been closing my eyes and anchoring. I even try to release with my eyes closed. For some reason it feels like my mind is trying to get the shot over with as fast as possible. Id really like to get this under control because I want to realy hunt with a trad bow. I can draw anchor and hold when im not shooting at a target but when im actually trying to shoot I let go before I get to the corner of my mouth.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I had the same thing.  I switch to gapping and it went a way overnight just a thought

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
draw first,,, find anchor,,, THEN aim. good to see ya around gain.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Thanks its good to be back. Im doing better with my longbow then I am my recurve im starting to get my confidence back im really trying to take control. Im telling myself this is my body and my mind I can control it and make a good shot. Its working slowly.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Focus on form with your eyse closed.  Do not try to hit a target you are building you subconsious muscle memory.  With your eyes closed feel what it is like to gradually and smoothly draw the bow back to full draw anchoring and transitioning the tension into your back muscles.  Refuse to hold the string.  We do not let go.  We refuse to hold.  relax the back of your hand.  I believe you are anticipating the shot.  Allow the shot to happen.  Draw to your anchor and keep PUSHING your elbow back until you refuse to hold AND loose the string.  Try hooking deeper into the fingers say to the first joint or slightly inside on your middle finger.  Keep at it, you will get there.  PM me if you think I can help you.  

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Hang in there man.I'm in the same boat as you(oddly enough the very exact same issues).I've had to make the same decision also.I'm still enjoying my time in the woods but...
I'll never quit trad just got to keep at it we'll get there.
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
2Blade: if you haven't read this thread already, make sure you do!  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001918

I would suggest sending J-Kid a PM.  I think you'll agree after reading page after page of sucess stories!

Hope that helps, even if only a little!

Gaines -"Stacker"

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Get a 40LB bow and practice at night shooting at a candle or small light.  Shoot 20 arrows in a row than pick up the 55 LB bow and you will see the problem is the bow.
capt eddie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
2Blade, if ya can hit at ten, twenty should be  there too. I had a very similar problem earlier this fall. I was short drawing, and accuracy suffered big time. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong...I wasnt aiming my shoulders, or using back tension.
Come to full draw, and then "flex your shoulders". If you do this and end up drawing another inch, work on it. I also practiced drawing(with back tension), aiming for a full ten seconds, then slowly easing down. I would do this five times and then shoot one arrow.
Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, just relaying what helped me after numerous hours browsing through the threads. Hope it helps.
And if you are ever down here and want to chase bunnies....look me up.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I actually have something that Jay wrote and he gives some drill. It really has helped me. Yesterday I was releaseing even when I wasn't aiming at a target I was looking off to the side to see if I could hold it back but I couldn't. Last night I read his drills a few times then practices them for an hour and a half and now im actually holding when I draw on a target. Im still not cured but I drew 12 times then released 2 arrows. Im going to do these drills for a few more days then try to actually shoot a round. My rabbit hunt may just happen. If I have anymore problems I will deffently PM him I just hope it keeps working
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Capt Eddie Nailed. Most people wrongly believe they are sufferring from a "target panic" issue when in fact, they are simply overbowed. Hand 'em a lighter bow and their "target panic" miraculously disappears. Hmmmmm??? Give 'em their heavier bow back and the target mysteriously reappears. Hmmmm???
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Welcome back to our   :campfire:
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
I have a 20lb Hoyt Scout recurve that I can shoot all day long. I was still having problems with my 45lb Howatt and Red Wing Hunter.

It really is nice to get the full effect of my longbow feels good to reach ful draw for once in a long time.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©