INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Refinishing and descending value  (Read 793 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing and descending value
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
According to collectors and enthusiasts what does a refinishing an old bear do robots value? Thanks everyone more knowledgable than me hahah!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing and descending value
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
...just my opinion, but an original old Bear in excellent condition will always be worth more than a refinished one.

Most folks who refinish a particular bow do so because of its poor shape.  A refinished collectible is still better to have than a poor original especially if it is to be used for hunting or 3-D shooting.
Lon Scott

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
There are some who cherish the originality and condition of an original bow and some who don't care. Same as guns. Let's hope when you sell it you run into the latter.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
An original condition bow should always be worth more. From what I observed it doesn't seem to bother too many folks to pay top dollar for a refinished bow.

I think now there are more collectors than ever, and some bow models such as Grizzly's and Kodiak Hunters are selling for more than Super Kodiaks. It is illogical to me, but it is the state of the hobby.

I would not hesitate to refinish a bow with holes or in awful shape, but I think it is a big mistake to refinish a bow in fairly good shape. Part of the problem rests in the refinisher. To do it properly original lines and contours must be preserved. Also, duplicating the original writing on Bears is impossible, so it will always be "different."

On a side note, a good refinished bow holds its value pretty good compared to original finish.

Anyone into old guitars? My 1957 Gibson J-50 is worth about 1500 refinished. Original condition is in the 3000 to 5000 range regardless of its playability.

Never refinish old guitars. Bows seems to be acceptable.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
I have never hesitated to refinish a bow. When you're talking about bows made in the 60's, it's hard to find one that hasn't been knocked around a bit. They deserve to look as great as they are.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
as a collector, I look for originals and stay away from re finished. If a bow is in sad sad shape I will re finish and use, r just flip it for a better piece.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Same idea, slightly different scenario:  what about shooting that original condition bow-one that's perfect or nearly perfect?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline papabear08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
? was value and in any antique or collectible field any restoration knocks the hell out of value and it surely should be no different with a bow, CONDITION dictates value-period.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
What is "original"?

3-4 years ago I won an auction for an "all original" RH 1959 Kodiak 64" 55#. Leather grip missing, no strike plate, no rest, no finish, no coin, decals in horrible shape, limb tip overlays peeling up. It was a sad case. Very ugly.

It sure didn't hold much "collectible" value in that "original" condition. I wouldn't have wanted it hanging on my wall, and apparently not many other collectors wanted it either.

Fortunately the bow had no holes that needed filling and not one stress line.   It turned out very nice, even with my limited refinishing skills and I'm sure I could get 3 times what I paid for it if I chose to sell it, even in this economy.

No, it may not bring the price that a completely original and pristine 59 Kodiak would but it's sure more "valuable" now than it was 3-4 years ago.

In some cases such as this one, I feel like it would almost be distasteful to leave the bow in such horrible shape.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
That looks sweet!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Be aware that refinishers will tell you 'six weeks' and drag that out to easily 1-2 years! I have one out now that has reached 'anyday' status and it has been 3 years! (no, it ain't the 'doc'}
Nowadays if I send one out I don't even ask; otherwise waiting on the front porch for the USPS lady that never appears can become painful!   :bigsmyl:    :archer:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
waiting also leads to night sweats and bad dreams, right Bjorn?     :saywhat:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
plus I think there is a difference between "refinished" and "restored"... replacing lost tip overlays,lost coins, filling holes, replacing leather grips are all part of the refinishing process of course. But when a guy tinkers around and does little repairs to an original bow it is more of a restoration than refinish. I think that is fine for your own bows.   However leaving them as original as possible is always best. Once you start peeling things up or off, polishing,gluing, cleaning .... you never know what you are getting into and things kinda snowball right into a refinishing project.... or you end up wiping off Fred's signature....   :scared:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Good one Chuck!   :archer2:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Or discovering Bob Morley's name and realizing it was likely a bow, hand picked by Fred intended as a gift for a friend      ;)    

Trap

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
good point Trap, I forgot about that.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm not a collector, I'd classify it more an "accumulator".  I like projects, so if I see a bow in pretty bad shape for under $100 bucks ill refinish it, with no intentions of reselling.  I got into Brownings that way, refinished a Fury II and love the bow.  Well when a Fury 1 came up on the auction sight I had to have at any price or condition.  It's a beautiful bow, the Browning finish is amazing.  But the guy who owned it hunted hard with it out in Utah, so it's got chips and scratches.  If I try and refinish it I know I'll be disappointed with the results, but I have so much into it right now I don't want to put more money into it.  Right now I have it in the classifieds, hoping someone else will make the decision for me!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Trap, that is one of the nicest set ups I have seen recently- that quiver with the knife and file you put together really goes well with the '59 K you refinished-bow looks great!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn,  

It's my favorite combo to hit a 3D range with.  I picked up that quiver from a friend of mine that lives out in California.     ;)

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©