INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1950's Bow ID  (Read 673 times)

Offline Jaz5833

• Trad Bowhunter
1950's Bow ID
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I would like to offer up a bow for identification. It is labeled Gordon Plastics, San Diego. I just won this example at auction and will not have it in hand for a few days.

The bow has all of the GP calling cards, such as the brown laminate and the poundage marked on the heel.

Also the serial number stamp is indicative of the bows produced by GP before Browning came along.

This one would indicate that the bow was made in Oct. of 57. However, it does not visually look like any of the bows I have seen made by them.

Additionally, the Gordon Plastics label appears to me as though part of it was cut off and it may have included the model name.

I have read that Frank Eicholtz approached GP around the time this bow was made and asked them to help with a more durable laminate for his bows.

The wood work in this bow more closely resembles the work that I have seen from Frank and very different from the work I have seen from either Gordon Plastics or even Browning.

Any thoughts?

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1950's Bow ID
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
The overlays on the belly resemble those found on Fasco bows, another California bow from the same era.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
They most likely all got their glass from Gordon at the time.  It wouldn't be surprising if Fasco or Smithwick or another local bowyer made them.
Tom

Offline Jaz5833

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by oldbohntr:
They most likely all got their glass from Gordon at the time.  It wouldn't be surprising if Fasco or Smithwick or another local bowyer made them.
It is a Gordon manufactured bow....I think. But I also think it may have been influenced by another bowyer.

Any other thought?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©