3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the longest kill shot you ever made?  (Read 6171 times)

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the longest kill shot you ever made?
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
My longest kill was at 24 yds on a spike white tail.  He was in that fast, nose to the ground doe following walk.  Made a decent hit and he went about 50 yds after the shot.  It was my first white tail with a bow, a long time ago.  The bow was a 60 lb Rothaar recurve.

Speaking of our best target shots, in the early 80's, me and my buddy were following a group of compound shooters at a shoot who were giving us "friendly" grief as we waited for them about "why we would limit ourselfs when you could easily kill a deer at 50 yards with a compound".  Our answer was we do ok with our recurves and saw no need to modernize. Finally, after they shot at (and didn't hit) a moose at 90 yards they said to go ahead and shoot through.  As we were following this group they really hadn't seen us shoot yet. We both made fine shots into the kill zone of the moose.  We acted like it was an everyday occurance, grabbed our arrows and left them standing with thier jaws on the ground.  Life is good.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
This seems like a set-up but here goes.  I shot a woodchuck once with my entire family watching (reunion) that was walking across a filed @ 78 steps.  I also killed my second whitetail with a 45# Browning Stalker at 75 yds.  I was using a High Precision head and cedar arrow and it went right through.  I've shot a mule deer and one other whitetail at 40+ yds. and even with those added in my average kill distance with a bow is 17 yds.  Heck, my average distance with my scoped 7mm is 23 yds.!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Well if hot wheels, golf balls and wheelie bows count....37 yards Eastern Tom 24 lbs, 11 3/4 beard.Compound. Still working on my first with a trad.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
47 yards, from up in a tree, monster 6-point buck with a puny rack. 45# Kodiak Magnum, fibreglass arrows, Bear Razorheads.

Pure luck and the shaking was so bad it's what made the connection.

Never again. 20 yards or closer, or I pass.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
65 yards on some kind of pretty bird with a long bow.  Ok I was young.

80 yards, Schaffer Silver Tip Recurve hit a dove on the ground, knocked out feathers and rolled him over.  Retrieved my arrow but the bird was gone.

Don't ask how many I missed that were a lot closer

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Well, one time when I was bald eagle hunting I took a spotted owl at about 75 ,,,,????? Only joking,I just cant do it past 20 yards I passed on a lot of backstrap and turkey fillets this year at about 20yards and beyond after seeing how my arrows slowed on the range at 30 yards.It is a lot of fun shooting those 3d elk at 50 and 60 yards even at 8$ an arrow.But if you know you can effectively do it,  go for yours on those 30 yard shots.Dont limit yourself to other peoples limits.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Neighbor's "alpha" male barn cat, 60 paces in a pasture in 1955, 40# Blackhawk "Wasp", wood arrow w/field point.
My buddy thought I was soooo cool. We went to the shed, got a shovel, buried the cat on the spot--Mom still found out in two days.  I got month of hard labor doing anything the neighbor told me to do.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline GREYFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Nice 125+ eight point whitetail at 37 long steps.46 LB. SUPER DIABALO @28, Ben Pearson Dead Heads ,  cedar shaft. I'm now like many others, I pass on anything much beyond 25yds and perfer 15yds.
DANIEL GILLENWATER

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
35yds,up hill,55lb recurve,carbon arrows,150gr magnus=one dead wild boar.

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
45yds .... whitetail ..... head on .... 41# target bow.

First deer I ever shot. I was shooting FITA targets at 90 meters so this looked close. She only went 20 yards.

I have more sense now...I think ( my wife may not agree )

Bowwalker
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Wheels

54 Yards Whitetail Doe

Recurve

27 Yards Whitetail Doe  45lb @ 28"
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
In 1973 I took a mulie buck at 65 after missing him at 40. Still got the picture in my mind, dropped about 10 yards away.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Old Ways I get what you’re saying. But you also got to figure in that the closer you get (stalking im not talking stands or blinds) the more jumpy a animal will get.  I had way more weird things happen with deer jumping and moving under 20 then over.  I like shooting calm deer a little farther then a wired one at 12 yards.  I get what you’re saying though!   :thumbsup:

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
So many people miss that point, Adam...

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
With a trad bow, 15 yards, a cottontail

Mick

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
I hear yea!

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Coyote @ 120+ yards, witnessed. 57 lb recurve, 2219 and a Bear razor. Pure luck, spotted the coyote in the field as I was unloading the truck to go hang a stand. Figured I would take a shot as I was heading that way anyhow. Crossed the fence, watched him hunt mice, and let one go way over his back. He started spinning in circles and then tipped over. Arrow came down between his shoulders and stuck in the ground.
Friend asked me to shoot him again from there, I told him I would be right back, heading to town for a lottery ticket.

Offline FeatherFletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
52 yards (and that is with my buddy's laser ranger finder. He was standing next to me.)Caribou. 56# pound longbow @ 28 Goldtip arrow.
We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aid, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by KyleAllen:
thats freakin hillarious about the robin and the matchbox car, i dont care who ya are!! I literally laughed out loud. I suppose its so funny cause i can see a younger me doing that.
Kyle
My Dad came home and asked me if I felt bad, then he called me murderer. And he's an archery hunter.
He hasn't harvested anything bigger than rabbit with the bow.

But I sure have over the years. I guess he was right.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
whitetail buck,62 pases,last day long time ago,,55lb. recurve pass through both lungs.shot just felt right

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©