3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last Chance!!(Final Results)  (Read 532 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Last Chance!!(Final Results)
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Well with the hugh storm hitting tonight this afternoons hunt will be it for me. Damon(Nomad88) and I will be heading to the dream property with hopes the deer are moving. I saw 23 last sunday and 3 nice bucks, nothing came closer than 30 yards. Today if any deer gets inside of 35 yards, its in trouble. We have about 8"s of snow now and it is feels like 10 degrees with the windchill. Heading out in about 20 minutes!! I will be carry my Arroyo and Damon his Arapaho. We have 31 stand sites to choose from on this property, if the wind satys west there will not be a lot of stands that cover food sources. I was hoping for north but NW will put one of us over an old orchrad and the other over a cut corn field!! Either way waht a great way to spend an afternoon, than out in the great outdoors with bow in hand and a good book to read while on stand!! Let ya know how we do later!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last Chance!!(Final Results)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
I think I can feel a follow up story in the works!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
The deer were moving great this morning through bedding areas with the approaching front. You guys should have real goood luck before it hits you this evening.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Guys, walking out the door and guess what, we have NNW winds, wow should eb good! Shawn
Shawn

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Go Get Em Shawn! I had planned to be at my place Friday but the ice storm held me at work late Thursday night. Then a death in the family will keep me in the city till Sunday night. Not to mention the weather...

God willing and the river don't rise you'll find me still hunting in Cornwallville Monday and Tuesday... Talk about last chance...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Good luck! Hap

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
It was gonna be a great hunt for you guys until you had to go and say how confident you were heading out the door.    :D  You should always play it safe and use reverse psychology in such situations.  :bigsmyl:  Now the wind will probably change after you have settled in. I hope I'm wrong!!  :goldtooth:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Good luck Shawn and Damon!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Got my truck parked 90 miles south of Buffalo, NY - wind is holding true for them for now...
I saw lots of deer up and moving as I drove up I79 thru Pittsburgh and Eerie this morning.
I need a new job....Good Luck guys
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
Good luck Shawn   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Well it was a great hunt and shots were taken and deer were. Oh wait I will start with me, I walked in and carried my clothes on my back. I had several layers of undergarments on. It was 12 degrees when we arrived and the windchill was zero. I got dressed climbed up and got settled in. I had been sitting about 3 minutes when I decide to do that big stretch to situate the clothing allowing you to draw your bow without binding. As I do this I look to my right and there is a 4pt. at 12 yards and another bigger buck 5 yards behimd him. They were all puffed up from the cold. I will be right back, I gotta get warm socks and some cocoa. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
:)

I got to go to a Christmas party. Sure hope this is done by the time I get back...
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I was busted pretty bad, they both stood there for about 5 minutes just staring right up at me. I finally made a slow reach for my bow, to my amazement I got it off the holder and wrapped my tab around the string and started putting pressure ion te string and off they go. One blew but not much and not very loud. They only ran 30 yards or so and just walked off. I was pissed at myself for not looking around real good before I got up and moved around. I turned in  the tree to see at least 20 deer feeding in a field about 70-80 yards behind me, there were several bucks and about 15 does and fawns. I bleated a few times and ble the grunt on and off until dark with no luck. I got down and walked back to the truck and Damon was no where to be found. I decided to ride down the road and pick him up. He was not out yet so I knew somethig was up. I will be back in a little while to let ya know what happened. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Turns out Damon was on to deer as well. Just before dark 9 show in the corn field and slowly work their way When he first climbed in he had one down in the valley behind him eating apples, he was supposed to sit over that tree but worried he may bump deer on the way in, so he sat the field edge. He also had two others come out across the field from him but they got down wind, so 12 deer in all, not a bad sit. Well back to the deer coming to him. He has two that break off from the main group and offer him a shot a 20 yards. He readies and takes the shot. It was just low as he thinks he peeked where the shot was going. The deer just  walked off a little ways and he looks back and here comes two more. These were a bit farther but Damon has been practicing and feels confident out to 30 yards or so. He draws back his Arapaho and lets fly. The shot looked good but again just low. He waits until the deer move off and goes to look, to make sure there was not a hit on either shot. Satisfied he walks towards the idiot(me) now blowing his horn. It was getting late and this old man starts to worry quicker than he used too. I also was hoping he had shot a deer and we had some dragging to do. Either way it was a great last day in the deer woods. Next weekend we will be chasing bunnies!! Anyone want to go with us? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a good day Shawn, it was my last day also. No deer but did get into some turkeys, no shots though.  It was also cold here, 16 when I got into the woods at noon, and stayed that way all day.......Here's one of the turkeys all bunched up against the cold.....I can only imagine what I looked like!

Oh yeah' I'd love to go with you to chase bunnies, but that will have to wait till February..

:bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I saw some birds as well. Hunting should be good for the bunnies. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »
Good hunt bud....because of this rotten job they have me on we never did get together this year to hunt deer.....not next year bud!

I still have Westchester till the 31st(only my 7th sit of the fall)......actually got the opportunity to hunt yesterday morning....saw three bucks but nothing close enough for a shot. But I have a tree cleared out for my next hunt that might put me right where i need to be....we'll see.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun either way. I talked to Damon, he seemed pretty pumped still. Aparently I called him when the first set of does were coming by...oops.
Keep me posted on the bunny hunt next weekend. I might be up for it...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Shawn--great story. Sounds really COOOOOLLLLLDDDD!
So far this year, hunting down here has to include Thermacell supplies & bug spray, sunscreen, rain gear, waders, lots of ice, and a machette. LOL
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Curt, sounds good. I ended up only working today until noon. I was gonna go out but I have been up since yesterday morning. I may have lied as I have two more days and I may be ill Tuesday so I can get out again. I saw 34 deer in one of my fields while out plowing this morning. I would like one more for the freezer so we will see. Jamie, yup were gonna hunt Bunnies this weekend. I did a push for a couple muzzleloader guys Friday and I saw 9 amd the other guy saw 15 on one push!! Damon and I will be in touch. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©