INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grayling B-riser Type I in the classifieds  (Read 839 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Grayling B-riser Type I in the classifieds
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Just wanted to give the collectors here a heads up on a beautiful type I B-riser I have listed in the classifieds.It's a beauty!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grayling B-riser Type I in the classifieds
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Well,
  Plain Jane A type 1 on big site right now at $2550. I guess that rules out what signed ones are valued at.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
One auction on e8ay does not set the standard for the value, ask your insurance company. Some people have more money than brains. You have to have your item appraised  and documented by a certified appraiser of antique archery equipment. Wade Phillips is the only such person that I know of.  And just because you bought one signed stickman handle for your collection, it doesn't make you an expert on bow values or signatures or anything. Unless you can document your signature, it's just scribbling on the bow and does not double the value of the piece.... I heard of one collector that removed Fred's signature from his bow, he obviously didn't think much of it's value...too funny.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
I know there are more than a few forgeries out there. One well known guy stated "I can sign Fred's signature better than Fred"

I wouldn't pay more for a "signed" riser than the riser is worth. Unless you have clear pictures of Fred signing the riser with your serial number visible (clear proof)

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Joe Saint Charles is also "qualified" to appraise antique archery.  Once again it goes back to the ole business concept of willing seller/ willing buyer, and current market sales. Current market is the only way to determine value. Now as far as buying one Stickbowman signature. That is not an accurate statement. I currently have 12 of his signatures, have passed on some I felt not quite right, and have passed almost that many signatures on to others. Documenting can't be proven by anything short of a picture of Fred signing the item as Ron stated; less the signature handles, and limited edition items such as the Charles Denault prints. As far as insurance goes; I have a large business policy I have to document each piece and keep receipts for any claims.  Lets refrain from a pissing match. It only causes hard feelings, and frustration for all who view.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Probably the best bet is to fight the temptation to completely refinish a nice old collectible bow.

There is a slipperly slope to avoid that begins with innocent polishing and then tempts some of the less scrupulous to commit calculated fraud.

Who knows how serious the stress lines were when covered with Loctite, Smooth-on epoxy, a layer of paint that matches the original fiberglass, and a dazzling new coat of Fullerplast?

How tempting must it be for a refinisher to add a nifty signature or doodle when he has already expertly forged the serial number, draw weight, and AMO?

Let your conscience be your guide - but without documentation, buyer beware. If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
There you go Shane,you collect bows as a business. Buy low, sell high. You want these handles signed or not to have very high prices so you can make a buck. I remember your comment on the one thread that was deleted about how you couldn't take the A handle unless the price was right so you could make a profit later for monies spent now, whatever.  I don't sell bows very often. You can count on one hand the number of bows I've parted with.  I buy bows to complete a collection. I don't really give a rat's azz what I pay for something if I want it bad enough. I don't even consider what I can sell a bow for in the future... ever.  I'm looking at 150+ Bear Kodiaks, Mags, Specials and takedowns on my walls... and after 14 years of collecting, I'm still not an expert on any of this. You and I acquire bows for 2 different reasons and have different motivation. Nothing wrong with being a bow broker or a collector, there are some who try to be both. E8ay does not represent current market value as you stated above. The auction price is what someone is willing to spend to acquire the item, regardless of what it's really worth.  
 Joe is a good guy to talk to.  He can explain better than anyone about the forged stickbow cartoons and signatures on Bear bows as he explained to me about 10 years ago. He's seen a couple in his time.  Tell him Chuck says "hi".      :campfire:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©