INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Hunter Date? (Pics Added)  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Bear Kodiak Hunter Date? (Pics Added)
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Can anyone tell the date of a Kodiak Hunter that I have coming? This is the serial number on the side:

KT38484
Amo - 60"

Thanks in advance!     :thumbsup:  

One more thing, it needs a string. I want to shoot B50 dacron so, is it 16 strand that I want?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak Hunter Date? (Pics Added)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Wannabe1, According to my source the "K" series started in 1970, which indicates your bow was made after that. The first number of your serial number is a "3" so that would indicate that your bow was made in 1973. Catalog info says that it would be 60" in length, with green glass and futurewood. Hope that you enjoy the bow.
2fletch

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I dont think you can date it by the serial number. Does it have a stabilizer bushing? Are both decals on the belly or does it have one on the belly and the other on the back? Raised coin or flat? And what kind of tip over lays? 72 was the first year with factory bushing and some early 72's had flat coins but most had raised.73 or 74 i think they started useing futurewood overlays? I have a 72 and it has a raised coin,stabilizer bushing and both decals on the belly with woven fiber micarta tip overlays. My serial number is KT28921.Mine has the two types of wood in the riser, really pretty bow.It fits my hand like it was molded just for me and does not stack at my 30 inch draw.Feels a lot shorter than the 60 inches that it is.I cant imagine a bow that could shoot any nicer than this one but it is a bit much for me to enjoy since my health is bad now at #50 @28, prolly around #55 or a little more at my 30 inch draw. Wish mine was more around #45 at my draw. I have mine rigged with a bear top spring arm quiver with the convert adapter to use the stabilizer bushing for the bottom. In my teenage years this bow would have been my dream bow,the kind us guys used to drool over in outdoor life magazine adds.If you like that kind of grip then you will love the bow. Its sort of like a longer version of a Kodiak magnum.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I think you will find a lot of discrepancies on the kodiak hunters.Mine has forest green glass, with white tip overlays and the handle overlays are white-black-white.From the research i did when i got mine there are some years that the best you can do is between 1 to 3 years date as they did not always use the same colors of glass and overlays and the bushing could have been added as a option.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
If you put a few good pics up after your bow gets in, there are several of the collectors here that can give you a real close idea of the year your bow was made.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely post some pics once it arrives. The bow has a dark brown and light brown riser with two very thin light strips down the center. It has white tip overlays and a white/black/white overlay on the back of the riser. Two decals in green on the belly of limbs but, from the guys pics, the limbs look like black glass. Might be real dark green but, I can't tell. It has a gold coin and front stabilizer bushing.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Jack Shanks

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Here's what I managed for pics from website. I guess limbs look really dark green.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Mine looks exactly like your bow does except for the coin.See, thats what i mean about descrepancies.Mine has a lower serial number but has a raised coin.That isnt just a matter of grabbing a coin out of a box and glueing it on.The flate coin is recessed in the riser and the raised coin is not recessed and has a small hole drilled that a peg on the back of the coin fits into.Only thing i can figure out is there were some bows that were partially finished laying around and did not get fitted for a long time or did not get the serial numbers marked on them for months later for some reason.Things that make you go hummmm

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Like Jack said that's a 1972.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »

Jon Voight shooting his Kodiak Hunter during the filming of Deliverance in the summer of 1971.

James Dickey coaching Burt Reynolds with same bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
As you can see the Kodiak Hunter Jon Voight is shooting the Kodiak Hunter silkscreen is on the back of the top limb and it also has a stabilizer bushing. The stabilizer bushing became standard on Bear bows in 1971 although it could be special ordered prior to that. Begining in 1972 the Kodiak Hunter silkscreen was moved to the belly side of the top limb. Mid year 1972 the flush medallion was replaced with a plastic raised madallion. Also, mid 1972 the 1953 Canadian patent date was dropped and only a US patent was used.  

I have owned more 1972 Bear bows with the flush madallion than the raised so I'm guessing that came about later in the model year. I have no way of knowing that for sure though.
Jack Shanks

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Jack, that is interesting. I just checked mine and it still has the 1953 canada patent. So it has a earlier ser.number,both silkscreens on the belly,stabilizer bushing but DOES have a raised coin,lol.Makes me think that it originally had a flat coin that fell out and a newer raised one was added as i think the raised coin is bigger diamiter so it would fit over the inset for the flat coin.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Kituwa,

I have never been able to decipher Bear serial numbers. I have been told at least in the earlier models that they were started over monthly. Likewise, I don't know when the Canadian patent was dropped but it could have been sometime after the raised coin was introduced.

It would be easy to pop your raised medallion out to see if a recessed hole for a flush coin is present underneath. Applying equal pressure on both sides with two razor blades has always worked for me.
Jack Shanks

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
So, my bow is definitely a 1972?

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
Looks like it Wannabe,,that was several of the guys here that would know. I didnt mean to take over your thread,,was really hopeing these guys would speak up because they are very helpfull to say the least.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
T.W.,

Yes, yours would be a 1972. The 73-75 futurewood models are the years that were identical in appearance and therefore hard to pin a year on.
Jack Shanks

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
The first NEW factory bow I ever purchased was a 1972 model...which I still have.  In my opinion, it was the best looking of the KH's and maybe the best shooter.  

BTW, I ordered it from a sporting goods shop in Great Falls, MT, and the owner said he would give me a deal at $50...and no tax.  

As TonyW posted, the movie "Deliverance" was very popular and all us kids had to have one of those Bear bows like used in the movie.
Lon Scott

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Here is my 72, look at that wood!Old bears sure had some nice woods!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©