INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Archery display at upcoming event in Mich (updated with photos 8/19)  (Read 3912 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
I hope this is the right place to post this,if not I apologize.It is history related so I thought this would be the best place to put it.
 I was asked to display some of my archery collectibles at an upcoming event at the Oakland County Sportsman's Club near Waterford/Clarkston Michigan the week-end of August 10th and 11th.They will have other booths there as well but I may be the only one displaying anything as opposed to offering services.Would love for anyone close by,able and interested to stop by.I plan on displaying some of the rare and oddball items I've aquired over the years,some I've shown on this site.Also planning a nice Ann Marston display.Anyone not familiar with Miss Marston should check her out.She was one of the very best female archers,winning 11 National titles,breaking many records,as well as being a T.V. celebrity and won the Miss Michigan beauty pageant in 1959.She also won the Talent Award in the Miss America beauty pageant by shooting her bow and arrow.Not only could she shoot a bow better than most,she was a beautiful lady as well.
 Just thought I would put it out there as I would love to meet some of the Tradgangers in person that I've only met through corrospondence here on the web.You can google the Oakland County Sportsman's Club to find directions and more information.It's easy to get to and it looks like a nice club.Bring your bow too as I believe there will be some shooting available.

Just a teaser!!

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery display at upcoming event in Mich (updated with photos 8/19)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
long drive for me, would sure like to meet you again and see the display...
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I know Chuck,it is a bit of a ride for someone like yourself.But... if you are bored and have absolutely nothing else to do,would love to see you again.They're not giving me alot of space so I don't know how much i'll be able to squeeze in there but whatever I can fit will be out for viewing.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »

Ann Marston 1959

Name that bow!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Bear Kodiak special?? Or with that rounded belly side a 1958 Sow Belly Kodiak??
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Ouch, I was thinking she was from Michigan so she'd be using a Bear product.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Great pictures Tony. She was quite the beauty.

Ray-Ann did use Bear bows and equipment. Although she did live in Michigan,she was originally from England. I'm sure she had offers from all of the big archery manufacturers at that time to use(promote) their equipment. Bear and Ben Pearson were two of the biggest but I believe she used Hoyt bows as well.I have a bow case that belonged to her that I believe is marked Hoyt. I will be displaying it along with some of her other items.From what I've read about her she sounds like she was quite a remarkable person on and off the stage.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
John,

Yes, there were a lot of good bows being produced back then (Wing, Bear, Pearson). It's good to see folks carrying on the display tradition of the old bows and other equipment.  I think about my old friend John Grumley a couple of times a month and used to love stopping by his house and seeing his old stuff and his dad's bows. His collection of his dad's bows was incredible and John's workshop was spotless and full of lot's of little tidbits of history. My only regret is I didn't do a formal interview of him for an article before he passed (I know he contributed to the TBM article about his dad).  Anyway, good luck with the upcoming show.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Ray,
  Thanks for the well wishes. I too just  couldn't get enough of John's display when he would have it set up . I first remember seeing it at some of the Michigan Bowhunters Rondezvous many years ago ,when Floyd Eccelston would have his broad head display there as well. I could spend all day just looking over all those wonderful pieces of history. Floyd and John were both always a pleasure to talk with.I'm sure they helped to light the fire in me for collecting and displaying this old stuff.
 Traverse City isn't that far from Clarkston,right off of I-75.  LOL. Stop on by. I'm no John Grumley but I will have a few of his dad's bows there.    John

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Wish I could attend John
I'm sure your display will be amazing!
Take pics for us if you can.
Enjoy.......
Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Phil,
 I always seem to forget but I will do my best to get some this time. I will post some here.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
John - check you PM

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Tony,
  Got the detailed message. Thanks very much.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Sure would like to see John, the Ladies don't get enough recognition for sure. Thats great you put a display together. I have a arrow board with alot of early lady archers, and a few other items bows etc. maybe some day I'll get to making one up. Work sure does interfere with getting things done.

Looking forward to seeing John. Thanks for taking time and sharing. Bill
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Bill,
  I agree with the ladies not getting the attention they deserve. I have to admit,in all the years I 've been interested in and have collected old archery items,not much is ever spoken about some of the women that excelled at the sport. Babe Bitzenberger's name is probably most familiar to all of us here but I never really heard much about Ann Marston. When her name was mentioned in conversation all I usually heard was that she was a beauty queen and was trampled by a bull. Also heard she was injured by a pig,which caused her to go blind and die.Never heard about what a wonderful archer she was even as young as 9 or 10 years old. She competed against the adult women while still in her early teens,beating many of them and breaking records,many of her own included. She won 11 national titles,was a Miss Michigan winner and won the talent award in the Miss America pageant by shooting her bow and arrow.She was also a t.v. celebrity,appearing on many of the popular shows at that time including The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson,the Jack Parr show,and the Morning Show with Dick Van Dyke just to name a few.After losing her sight,due to complications from diabetes,not by being trampled by a bull,which did happen at one of her shows,she became a manager for many of the local rock bands including the MC5. She even met the Beatles when they were at their peak in the 1960's. She was a very humble and giving person I have heard. Unfortunately she died at the very young age of 32 after suffering a stroke. A very sad end to a remarkable  yet short life. I never really knew anything about her and all of her accomplishments until doing a little research. We've all heard of Fred Bear,Howard Hill,Ben Pearson,Chet Stevenson,but not much about the likes of Ann Marston. I hope to introduce her to a few more people.   John

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice to see an archer like Ann on the cover of Sports Illustrated again?

Lon Scott

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
It sure would.She was a beautiful woman.Here's a short video clip I found of a very young Ann Marston shooting with her father Frank when they still lived in England.Ann was only 10 years old at the time.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/junior-toxopholist/query/Frank

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Here's another teaser for the show.Just got my mannequin in the mail today(Boy did I hear it from the boys at work about this.Nothing I can repeat here!)
 My wig and boots came also so I couldn't wait to put one of Ann's original show outfits on the mannequin to see how it would look.I think it looks awesome myself.This is such a piece of history.I was told by the person I got the outfit from that I am the only one to have one of her outfits other than those in museums!I am so thankful and honored.I knew so little about Ann until recently.She really was quite a talented and determined young lady.
 The Miss Michigan banner is also one of hers.The poster next to her is enlarged from an original photo of Ann wearing this very same outfit complete with Robin Hood hat.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Great post Johnny,and 2 of the nicest early TDs I have ever seen!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©