INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Archery display at upcoming event in Mich (updated with photos 8/19)  (Read 3918 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery display at upcoming event in Mich (updated with photos 8/19)
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Felix,
  How did I know that you would like the curves of those two take-downs more than the curves of my mannequin or Ann Marston!LOL. I do have to agree with you though,they are pretty easy on the eyes. Hopefully I'll have another special riser for you to drool over before too long. I know I will.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
J,I can't wait to see it and it is good they are RH or i would have a broken heart.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Felix,
 Most of the risers I am showing here are right-handed,but I can tell you there are also a couple of lefties in this bunch that would make a lefty like you pass out.If I get a chance to get some pictures of them I will post them up for you.You'll want to be sitting down for those.

Hfactor- Thanks very much.I know for most of us here on the collectors forum we get alot more excited seeing some vintage bows and arrows,myself included.I never thought I would get so excited over a sequined dress and hat,especially with a mannequin wearing them.But since reading about Ann Marston and all she accomplished AND overcame in her short life,knowing that this was one of her very own outfits that she performed in really brought her to life,at least for me.I was told that this very outfit was on display in a museum in Arizona along with some items from Emmett Kelly Jr. who was a well known celebrity clown at that time.Perhaps some of us "older" guys might recognize his name.He was very good friends with the Marston family.I am very fortunate to be the current caretaker of these items and look forward to bringing Ann to life for others to appreciate.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
Here's a few more items that I will be displaying with Ann's outfit.The first is a program from the 28th Annual Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.Ann is featured in this issue.I learned that Ann was only the 2nd woman and the youngest memeber ever elected to the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.Quite an accomplishment.

Here's Ann's entry on page 97:

Here's a few small items of Ann's.One of her shooting gloves and two membership cards.One card is from the Midwestern Archery Association from 1958 and the other is from the Zeppelin Rifle Club Inc. from 1957.

Last is one of many trophies Ann won in her lifetime.This one is from the Metropolitan Open where Ann was the Junior Champion,Free Style in 1962. History!!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Started putting together some more items for the display,so I dug out one of my small display cases to see what would fit.I may display some of the take-down risers in this one.Wish it were a bit bigger but it is what it is.Top three risers are pre-production B-risers with "brass bears",bottom is a type I production B-riser signed by the man.Experimental limbs are what I call "pea-green" glass in color with a reddish phenolic core as opposed to the usual black.Lots more to do,I'm sure I'll be changing things up as I go along,but I thought the risers looked nice against the red felt background.

How's that for a low serial number.The "one" should be first followed by the zeros.  :dunno:  

Offline Littlekodiak59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Dave,
   Thanks Dave.Not as nice as your proto-type from Bob Kelly.That is an awesome riser.The stripe on the riser above riser is actually green like on the Gainesville green-stripers.It might just look blue in the pictures.Bear was really doing some fantastic things back in the 1960's.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
This is a really neat thread..! Like to see a beauty pagent winner today posing with a bow....like Miss Michigan...! Different times...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
John,
  Glad you liked it.I am putting together the final touches and starting to pack up the goods for the show next week-end.
 And I agree,they were different times.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Back to the "name the bow" contest-
I'm gonna guess a 64" 1958 Kodiak Special. Close?

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Found this tidbit....
Ann Marston - Selected Readings - Engaging News.us

In 1958 the Pearson Archery Company produced an Ann Marston signature bow and arrow set. Archery legend Fred Bear also paid ....

Didn't pay to read the whole article, but posted this free excerpt to tantalize us. Complete the last sentence fragment:

Archery legend Fred Bear also paid....
A. attention to Ann Marston's legendary archery prowess.
B. a complement to Ann Marston when he met her.
C. Ann Marston to represent Bear Archery in 1959.
D. taxes that year in Michigan.

I bet John knows the real answer! By the way, John, was Ann tall enough to prefer a 64" bow?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Tony,
 I don't know where you come up with these awesome pictures of Ann but I love 'em! She looks pretty young in this one,possibly early teens or even younger.She could probably give Howard a few pointers.
 I'm not positive on the correct answer to your quiz,but knowing Fred Bear and his savvy business sense,I would have to guess that he wanted Ann to represent Bear Archery in 1959,although I believe all of the above might apply.
 From what Ann's aunt has told me,the Marston's were very good friends with Fred Bear and I have seen some earlier photos of her shooting Bear bows,some with a walnut compass Kodiak.
 As far as her height,I'm not sure how tall she was or what length bow she preferred.I'm still learning more and more about her all the time.I'll have to see about that one.In some of the photos I have of her with a bow in hand,the bow appears to be longer than a 60" bow.Thanks again Tony for the great pic of Ann and archery legend Howard Hill.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:00 AM »
Tony,
  You forgot to add E. All the above

That was my most common answer on tests at school when I didn't know the real answer. ;o) Explains why I passed with C's. I have a feeling that answer E is the correct one. I know that Fred had to pay taxes to MI for sure that year.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Sweet risers John.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks Norm. They really are awesome. These risers are the grandfathers of the modern day risers of today. Truly pieces of history. That walnut one is a sight to behold.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
So what bow is in the pic?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Had the show this week-end at the Oakland County Sportsman's Club.Lots of work but it was well worth it.Had some help from the neighbor girls and one of my son's buddies to load,unload,set-up,and bring it all back home.Couldn't have done it without them.Enjoyed the facilities,the people there,and some of the great stories.Here's a few pics for you,hope you enjoy.
 Bear Razorhead display(sorry about the glare.

Here's one of my Little Delta Bow.Got the bow from Joe St.Charles.It's a leather grip,camo,52" Kodiak Magnum that was brought into Glenn's shop in Washington state many years ago by a gentleman that said he had gotten the bow from Glenn back around 1960.Glenn believes it's the bow shown lying acroos the pile of antlers in the large photo in the background and most likely the very first Kodiak Magnum ever made.

Here's a shot of some older items from back in the 1940's.Some old Bear leather items,a couple of old magazines with Fred Bear on the cover,an early Bear Products marked fletching jig,Nels Grumley's bamboo flyrod,an old fish-spliced osage stave and a couple of completed osage longbows,the one to the rear is a Grumley "Deerslayer" take-down.

Some items from several NFAA tournaments that were held here in Michigan including the very first one in Allegan in 1946,East Tawas in 1950,Ludington in 1955,and Grayling in 1958 and 1960.

Some Michigan made by and/or belonging to various Michigan bowmen in the case on the left including Herman Stroud,Tracy Stalker,A.J. Michelson,Cliff Coe,Jim Hodek,and Bill Loomis.Case on the right are all Grumley made bows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
More pics to come,photobucket went AWOL on me,couldn't download any more.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Excellent...Thanks for preserving and sharing arhery/bowhunting history.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
John,
  I don't see my old baby in a case ;o)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©