3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions requested  (Read 680 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Opinions requested
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
I own a 1966 Bear Kodiak(I'll post pics soon)
I just got the bow back from BowDoc. is looks practically factory new or better because of the depth of finish. Anyway, he didn't put a shelf or strike plate or a new string on it. LLC restrictions probably. Well my questions are, Will a B50 60" string work for this 64" bow? should I get just any B50 or should I try and find a period string from my collection (I have 15 or so 1968 - 74 strings in various sizes. They are still in the factory tubes or from someone else? Second I really like the Seal Skin shelf rests and strike plate and zelcro but should I use a Bear Hair and leather strike plate. I guess I;m saying should I do the little tweeks that add a little to the performance of the bow or just do a restoration to fctory specs?
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions requested
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Can Someone  PLEASE  tell Me what  LLC  IS??  :confused:   Sorry C2, I dont have any answers for ya? I am not trying to HiJack yer Thread Either!  :rolleyes:   Sounds like BowDoc did a Fine Job on Your Bear!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Curtiss, if your gonna shoot her, I would tweek her.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline 2 dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
if your gonna shoot it make it the way you like it.llc means limited liability corporation.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm gonna shoot it and hunt with it if we get along.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
I would keep B-50 or equivlant. I dont think it would handle any low strecth stuff. They say anything over 50 lbs. needs 16 strands. I have used 14 with no problems. Yes usally curves ned a sting 4 in. shorter than the actual length of the bow.I done know that much about Bears but I( did not know they made a Kodiak that long.
High on Archery.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
I have no clue whatsoever.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
I would buy the restoration bear rest strikeplate from Three Rivers, get an endless loop B-50 string that fits the bow and hang the bow on the wall.  41 year old limbs, I think you are asking for a disappointment.

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
On my 66 Grizz I put a B50 string and Leather strike plate along with a Bear feather rest from Three Rivers. Shoots great and I killed a buck with it to boot.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
LLC = Limited Liability Corporation

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Jeff, I have shot many bows with limbs older than that. They still shoot the same and the poundage is the same as well. I would shoot a 10 strand endless B-50 if you are gona shoot her. Shawn
Shawn

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
I would buy the restoration bear rest strikeplate from Three Rivers, get an endless loop B-50 string that fits the bow and hang the bow on the wall.  41 year old limbs, I think you are asking for a disappointment.

Jeff
I have been shooting a 1957 Kodiak Special with no ill effects whatsoever... actually the bow shoots as well as the custom bow that I have. These bows were made to shoot and if they are in good shape there is no reason not to keep on shooting them.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
The older Grayling built Bear bows are better than the new ones built this year.  IMO  Shoot a period correct string and you will be fine.  I will buy that bow from you if you can't get along.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Don't hesitate to shoot the hell out of that thing- that's what they were made for! Hang it on the wall my ass!
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
I don't own a Bear but do have a
 -Bob Lee Red Wing Hunter- made between 65 & 68.
I had Chad, at Champion Bowstrings (sponsor), make me a 12 strand B50 and all is grand.
 My bow is 58" and 50# @ 28.
 Shoots almost silent with Bow Hush and
Hush Puppies on it.
 String it and shoot if it's still sound.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
I shoot my ealy 50's static Kodiaks.  This bow is just a baby   :bigsmyl:  I'd shoot it...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Guys,

C2 asked for opinions.  I agree that many of the older bows are still shooting, some very well.  I would not want the bow to be my primary on a hunt.  He may shoot the thing for 40 more years or it may break tommorrow.  That could be said for one just built today.  
Personally, I view that old of a bow as more of a collectors item than a hunting weapon.  I have had older recurves delaminated on me, and wow it was a dissapointment, especially when you get grooved in with it.  I just think there is a much higher chance of a failure with a 41 year old bow than say a 2 year old.  My comments are in no way meant to upset any of the elders on the gang. I am talking about the age of bows.  41 is young in human years, bow years well you know my opinion.  

Longbows & Short Shots,
Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Shoot it! If it comes apart, it will die doing what it loves rather than in a nursing home just waiting to die! That's the way I want to go out, that fine old bow deserves nothing less.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
There is absolutely no reason to believe that your '66 Kodiak is any more prone to breakage than any other bow of any age. Keep it as your primary if it works well for you, as for a string? Chad at recurves.com will produce a beautiful 12 strand Flemish for you at a reasonable price. Beaver balls, sealskin rest and you're all set!
I have been collecting Grayling Bears and shooting them in lots of hunting situations and they are as good today as they were when Fred and the gang sent them out the door back in their day.

Offline DeltaBuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
My dad shoots a 60s Kodiak.  That thing is sweet.  Shoot it. You will not be dissapointed
"Deeds cannot dream what dreams can do"...  E.E. Cummings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©