INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear X200 arrows-forgewood versions pics added  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear X200 arrows-forgewood versions pics added
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I just got these off the big site and they are unused.  Unfortunately they came in a Microflite Bear Archery box and they are not Microflites.  
They are 9/32 in the front  and back of arrow and have 9/32 nocks. They also have the headshrinker attachements on the point so they fit the Bear Razorhead.  The only catch is, these feel like the old forgewoods in my hand.  They are 28.5 inches from throat of nock to BOP (I think they advertised as 29" and measured from BOP to BONock). Anyway, these weigh in at 575 grains without the bleeder blade and that seems awfully heavy for a skinny shaft of that length. They were listed at 50-55 spine and they're shooting well from my 45-50 Bear recurves.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear X200 arrows-forgewood versions pics added
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Are you talking about those necked down aluminum adapter that you put on wood arrows so you can use a screw in point? I remember useing those years ago and liked them.Have thought about trying to find some to try again but never hear of anyone useing them and wondered if there was a problem with them or something. Another thing, i often see wood arrows for sale in the classifieds and they are a bit short for my 30 inch draw and sometimes adding those adapters may make them long enough for me to use.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
No Matthew, these adapters barely stick out of the point and the back of the point taper is right there. Essentially it's like adding a tapered sleeve to the wooden point taper and then gluing the point to that. They were listed in the 1957 Bear catalog for use on the narrower diameter shafts.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Oh ok,,i dont think i have seen anything like that before,thanks.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
10 gpp sounds high for tapered 5/16th cedars if they are not compressed
Lucas Kent

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Yes, Bear offered Sweetland shafts in the 50's.  I sold 7 or 8 that were like new in their original, pre-razorhead "For those who want the best" box at the Moses Lake Rock Shoot this year.  I picked them up from the original owner and they were tapered down to a 9/32 or so nock as well.  

Brad

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
The official test is take a raw shaft, try to balance it and it will have a noticeable built in FOC provided of course the cutting was done from the rear by someone who knew. At 28.5 the more heavily compressed front 4-5 " could be gone.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Well, I'm not going to take apart the point or strip the feathers (most are actually in very good shape). I've only shot one of these over and over. The rest have not been shot.  Here's the specs (pictures to come later):

1) Speed nocks appear to be 9/32
2) They are parallel shafts, not tapered.
My guess is the raw arrow shafting at 28.5 inches and weighs 400 grains. Total arrow weight with Bear Razorhead (no bleeder), headshrinker adaptor(assuming this is about 25 grains) and nock/feathers (4.5 inch shield cut)are about 30 grains.
3) Overall arrow length is 31" exactly from tip of Razorhead to back of nock.  The balance point is at 13" from the point tip, which is 11.3% for a finished wood arrow.  Pretty impressive for not front loading with a heavy broadhead (140 grains total for head and headshrinker adapter and 10 grains more once I put bleeder blade in).
4) The Bear Razorhead version is a pre-1964 post 1956 version. My guess is it's the 57/58 version.

My hunch still tells me these are compressed cedar.  I held one in my hand along with an old Acme Premium 5/16 shaft arrow that I got from the late John Grumley and it feels like I'm holding a dense skinny carbon arrow compared to the Acme Premium 5/16 (with a 125 grain field point comes in at 440 grains in a finished arrow).

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
The fact that the headshrinker fit says a lot; maybe everything. They were made to accommodate the skinny Sweetland shafts.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
I would bet a bunch that they are Sweetlands, press your fingernail into the shaft, if you are able to dent it, then it is not a Sweetland but the weight and your discription makes me believe they are Sweetlands.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Added pictures to the first post.  Also, as Danny suggested I tried to press my fingernail into the shaft and could not do it, couldn't even get a mark.

Is this the 1959 version of the Razorhead???

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I have some just like it, except mine are also tapered.  Mine spine 55# and weigh about 550 grains with a 125 grain point. You have  Sweetland shafts.  Nice find.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Those are like new! Be sure and kill something worthy with them!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Bjorn,
They were never used!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  
I'm hoping to have my 1957 Kodiak refinished and completed this weekend. Hopefully these arrows will fly well from that bow. They will be saved for special occasions hunting with that bow.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I really like that crown dip and cresting pattern!
Lucas Kent

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Those look great!If thathad been the original box for those arrows they would be almost too good to use.I will prolly just make some wood arrows and make them as close in looks as i can to hunt with my 59 bows.Your pics give a good close up to copy the cresting. I look forward to seeing your 57 after you finish with it too.I see a lot of guys say that the 57 is one of the best shooters and a little harder to find than the other 50's bows.Even more, i cant wait to see a picture of you poseing with your 57,those arrows and a big buck!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Matthew,
Yes, I'm hoping to get in front of a nice buck or even a big ole Susie doe.  Also, I'm hoping to draw another MI black bear tag in a year or two and it would be fun to use that set-up with that too.  As nice as the 1957 Kodiak is coming along an these arrows, one of the same quality finds was an unused Bear bolt on 4 arrow quiver. The crest on these arrows has a little aging on them, but the quiver was absolutely mint.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Great find ray!!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Ray, i have one bolt on leather top too but mine isnt mint. I want to pick up several more yet. What i havnt seen anything on yet, is what does a 50's period glove look like? I found one old glove with no markings that i THINK may be close but not sure.Its in good condition and it is even one of my prefered gloves to shoot with now.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Matthew,
I purchased one of the Bear Catalog CD's from 3Rivers Archery and that's what I use as my rough calculation on dates of items. I've never really looked at leather products too closely.  Just as a side note, the CD does have all the catalogs from the late 40's till Bear left Grayling, however some of the pictures aren't super clear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©