INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Howatt Hunter  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
Howatt Hunter
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Looking for help dating a Hunter. It is an all rosewood hunter. # HHS 4378-62". Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howatt Hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
The 4 at the beginning of the serial number is the last digit of the year of manufacture...that combined with the fact the riser is rosewood might seem to indicate 1974...someone who knows Howatts better than me should come along soon to confirm that...not sure how the "S" got into the serial number

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
A narrow curved stripe in the riser would put it 1974 while a wider straight stripe could make it a '64.  Hence, a serial # along with the pics would help a lot.
Lon Scott

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Lon, when did Damon Howatt start using that system for serial numbers?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
According to Larry Hatfield, the serial # system changed around 1960 or '61 I believe.  Prior to that, the first number identified the bowyer...and I believe Mr. Howatt used # 1.  

In the early 60's, the process became assembly-line type as several workers performed a different funtion on each bow.

(I also agree that the "S" is a mystery unless bow is a Howatt Hi-Speed in 62" which would be rare, huh?   :wavey:  I wish Mr. echo62 would give us some pics too.
Lon Scott

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
The bow is not a Hi-Speed. Says Hunter on the bow. There is no stripe in the riser. There are 2 pieces of rosewood, but they are joined directly together, no stripe, no other type of wood in the riser. I'll text you some pics if you pm me a #.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Does it say "NE PLUS" on it anywhere?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Larry mentioned that the numbering changed in 1962.  Echo62, you probably have a 1964 and it was the 378th bow made that year. A picture would help or you could do a google search on 1964 Howatt hunter and find a lot more information.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
You guys keep offering information next thing I know I will be a bit of a Howatt expert too...just because I collect Bears does not mean I cannot accumulate Howatts...still a bit cross at myself for selling my Ventura...they are great shooters too

DDave

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Another thing that helps in identifying the age of a Howatt is the logo. They had a few different ones. My recollection is that there is one with a conquistador, one that is a shield, one that is a drawn bow with "DH" inside it, and then I think they quit using a logo. Hopefully someone with official knowledge will join in. :-)

Jeff

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
If it does say "Ne Plus Ultra" in the logo and is all rosewood it is a '64. Does it look like this?

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©