3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow-bolt questions  (Read 457 times)

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
bow-bolt questions
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
When installing a bow-bolt, do you finish the riser first then cut it in half or do you install the bolt before the riser is shaped?
Also, any feedback on the bow-bolt from its users, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow-bolt questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
http://www.warrenarchery.com/

Drill it when the riser is still squared up.  I've done it before the glue up stage and after.  Directions are on Craig's web site.  Chad

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I've done a bunch of them, all when the riser is still square after the bow is glued up.  I would not want to do it any other way.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Do you feel like they are a good, trustworthy system?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
The 7 I've built in the last 2 years have held up fine.  All bows were between 50-55#.  I used cocobolo, zebrawood and bocote risers that were not laminated, just solid.  Craig told me he didn't recommend drilling into a glue line. I think Craig recommends actionwood or dymondwood.  Maybe he will reply to this thread.  Chad

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Mike,
Either way works well, but I would recommend installing one in the riser first and then building the bow around it for your first time.  If you are only going to make one or two bows with the Bow Bolt system, I would probably stick with this method.

If you are going to do a lot of them, the method Java Man uses will be just as good and a lot faster.

There have been very few problems that I know of, and almost all of them have been the result of a poor bond between the bow bolt and the risermaterial and the reason for that has usually been that the surfaces (especially that of the stainless steel used in the bow bolt)have not been cleaned thoroughly enough.  Think "surgically clean" when you do one.  Bad epoxy (too old, past it's shelf life)has been another reason and poor glue joints (at accent stripes)in the riser have come apart in a couple others.  Finally, shaping too close (closer than 1/8") to the bow bolt has caused the demise of one or two bows.

Check out the website,  WWW.Warrenarchery.com  for complete instructions for both methods of installations and please don't hesitate to call me with any other questions.

Have a great Christmas season, you too Mike and Gregg.

Craig

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Merry Christmas to you too  Chad.  Glad the bow bolts are working well for you.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
We've been installing them for a couple of years and have had very good luck.  We cut and install with the bow is in the square.  We also made jigs for cutting, drilling and glueing the bow.  It is very easy and the bows look and work great.

I am putting one in my new hunting bow for next year.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©