INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Picked up a Kodiak Hunter  (Read 1056 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Picked up a Kodiak Hunter
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I found this bow on craigslist of all places listed for $50.  The guys said it had some limb twist but was in great shape otherwise. There are some scratches and rubs on the finish but no stress lines or cracking. No holes other than the one stabilizer hole it came with. I was able to fix the limb twist (might need a bit more tweaking) and I need to replace the string and rest/side plate.

From my research this appears to be made between 73 and 75....does that sound right?

I like old Bears but don't know a ton about them. If anyone has anything to contribute, please feel free. Thanks.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picked up a Kodiak Hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
I draw a tad over 29"....will that be a problem?

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Love it.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline PaulDeadringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Your right on the years, the white overlays were on the khunters from 73-75, I've always braced my khunters between 8-9 inches as well. The bow should handle your draw length as well, no problem. The kodiak hunter is an underrated bow and is a really good performer if it has a  really good string on it. Most guys can't stand the grip or they love it. Personally, I like a high wrist grip. Great bows.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Nice and clean. You can't go wrong with that bow, a real stable workhorse.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
Congrats in the CL find! Love those deals

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I think I answered my own question about the shelf.

Shot the bow last night and some today. It is surprisingly quick shooting almost a 10 gpp arrow.  

Think I finally got the last of the limb twists out. Finally had to result to using my foot for extra leverage

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Those are good bows, I have a couple of them.  You got a great price on it as well.  

The first picture could be deceiving, but it looks like the brace height is too high.  I find this common with old bows, they often carry a mismatched string.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sal:
Those are good bows, I have a couple of them.  You got a great price on it as well.  

The first picture could be deceiving, but it looks like the brace height is too high.  I find this common with old bows, they often carry a mismatched string.
Good eye. It was too low in that pic. Before I shot it I increased the brace and added wool puffs and nocking points.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I have/had three K.H. Two green ones and one that my dad gave me back in 69 when I got home from the Marines (it's a 68).  I just traded one of the green ones to a guy that makes very nice osage longbows. I think I paid $60.00 for each of the green ones.   They are a great shooting bow.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Kodiak Hunter is a very underrated bow.  You made a good find and should be a good shooter for you for years.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Very underrated bows. I had 4 of them until I lost my job last year due to a company closure. I sold two 45#'s and a 50#, but was able to keep a very nice 50# that I just finished up a round of stump shooting this evening. I brace mine at 8.75" with excellent results. The 73-75 color combination is my favorite!
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I would be willing to give your money back if you are not happy with it?    :)    :D
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I would not classify the Hunter as "underrated".  Since it came out in 1967 I would prolly rate it Bear's best seller right along with the Magnum.  A bow cannot be underrated and still be a best seller.

Bill Stewart   :notworthy:  designed the bow...so enough said   ;)  .
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©