3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about the PBS  (Read 6296 times)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about the PBS
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
DB,

Glad to hear you are willing to give it another try at Pitt. I hope your experience is better. If you see a large Hawaiian looking bowling ball shaped fellow, that would be me. We'll go have a beer and tell lies.

DonD
DonD

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Lots of us are loners, lurkers here on Tradgang, etc. and it is not easy to just walk up to somebody or a group and start a conversation - usually.  I have to attend meetings, seminars, and presentations with my job but don't enjoy it because I'm not in love with my job.  The PBS and the banquets are different - I am in love with bowhunting and so is everybody in the PBS and at the banquets, so even somebody as shy and "backward" as me can walk up to just about anybody else (famous or not) and talk bowhunting.    

My first banquet was in St. Louis and I went with the attitude that I would leave right away if I didn't like the experience.  I stayed the entire weekend and have not missed a banquet since..........
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I have been to every single banquet and absolutely have NEVER encountered any big named slobs. At the very first one in Ohio, I knew no one in PBS and very little about it and thats what I expected to find, but I could not have been more wrong, these guys were just regular bowhunters hanging out and shooting the breeze. At breakfast the first morning one of the "bignames", happened to sit at my table and asked me what I thought, I told him that I was totally impressed and intimidated by all the "bignames", he said "me too"! I said, but you ARE one of the "bignames", he said I am no different than you! I have seen kids walk up to Barry Wensel and say, Mr. Wensel can I have your autograph? He said, "its Barry" as he signed their stuff. Don't forget that just because someone may be well known, it doesn't mean they can't be shy and it may well have been two years since they saw their friends last, so its understandable they may want to catch up. I have walked up and introduced myself, politely to many many members of PBS and NEVER been blown off by any of them, but realize that there is a LOT going on during the banquet weekend and they may have things that they need to do. I ran the raffle booth for a long time and I felt bad about not having as much time to talk to many friends as much as I would have liked to. Jut be careful about letting any women you know write letters to the Wensels, those things can stick to you forever!

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Geez, the only time someone wants my autograph is after they swipe my Visa card...

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
That funny, Kevin. People usually ask me for your autograph too after swiping "my" Visa. By the way, thanks for the Christmas presents.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
I did actually have one person ask for my autograph, George Hilf asked me to sign a hat with all the big guys names on it at the banquet in 92, then he gave it to me as thanks for my help in the raffle booth. I still have it, but it just makes me look really stupid for signing my own hat, with all the big names on it. And no I don't wear it, besides the name thing, it is flouresent chartreuse, what were they thinking!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
The first post pretty much said it all.  I'm a PBS Regular and proud of it, and am proud of the organization.  I'm also a head track coach and our first weekend of competition always seems to fall on the banquet weekend so I've never been to a PBS Banquet yet.  And every two years I check the schedule hoping either our season has been moved a week later or the PBS has moved up a week.  No luck yet.  (But I've only got nine more years of teaching!).  

That said, I've attended 22 of the 24 Nebr. Bowh. Assn. banquets thus far, and this same topic (not feeling welcome--by a few) came up this past year after our event, which normally draws 400-500 bowhunters.  I'm convinced that it goes like this:

Bowhunter A from western NE only sees Bowhunter B from eastern NE at the Banquet once a year or maybe also at the summer Jamboree.  So when they see each other at the Banquet or in the motel there's a lot of catching up and bending the elbow to do.  Meanwhile, some newcomer comes up and stands nearby and expects to be welcomed into a specific conversation between two guys that are busy catching up.  NOT that the newbie isn't welcome, he might just need to hold on a minute or two until these two guys get tired of talking so much that they have to come up for air!  Instead, said newbie often turns and leaves and heads back to his motel room, and labels everyone as snobs, when that's the furthest thing from the truth.  Bowhunters are known for having patience in the woods, this is a time when patience may be necessary as well.

I'm guessing this could be the case at any big banquet type function, regardless of the group.  Some people are more gregarious than others and find it easier to break in.  Others, a little on the shy side, may find it tougher.  But from my friends who have attended PBS functions regularly, it sounds like there is no posturing or grandstanding.  And the newbie is very welcome.  Just be patient and unafraid...
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Barry you were a gentleman and a scholar the whole week in Quebec with us nobodies -and you made us feel special- just like we was riding the short bus to school!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
DirtyBill....at the Charlotte PBS, we asked for volunteers for the sumo wrestling. I didn't see your hand shoot up!
If you had, everyoe would have known who you were :-)
Don't be shy....bust into the circle and introduce yourself!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Dang Biggie!! I was at Charlotte and I don't remember being asked!! Oh it's probably because my Japanese heritage would create an unfair advantage. That and all the fried chicken I eat. They don't call me the Wasabi Redneck for nothing :-)
DonD

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Am an associate member but have never attended a gathering.  Looking forward to Pittsburgh.  And Biggie...better bring your sumo stuff...teach you to call me a whimp.  :bigsmyl:

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I will be looking forward to seeing all my brothers in PA.  
 Dirty Bill I'm nobody but if you stop by my booth "Whispering Wind arrows" I would be honored to talk to you about anything within reason!!
Regular Life member #15
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Do I need to go out and buy a suit for the banquet? I am not much of a black tie kind of guy.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Brian, the short answer is: NO.  
Wear whatever you are comfortable in.  Make sure your shirt or whatever fits nice and loose so as not to restrict the movement on your bidding arm.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
HA!  Jason, so YOU'RE the one who SWIPED my card!  No wonder they told me not to buy any more stuff.  Hey, if I thought I'd get an invite to your Wisconsin honey hole, I might just buy you a Christmas present!

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
I too am proud to be a member of the PBS.  Lifes circumstances have only allowed me to attend one gathering but I thorougly enjoyed it.  Hopefully I can start making more now that I'm "retired?"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
Brian P. friday night has always been fun night and casual dress is the norm, Saturday night has traditionally been more formal. You will see Uncle Barry in a jacket and tie but many wear khaki's and a nice shirt as well. Nobody wants to be uncomfortable and there has never, to my knowledge, been any kind of directive to wear a suit.

Rabbittman...forget it...I ain't taking on a southpaw :-)

PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Biggie and everyone, actually the festivities begin on Thursday evening at this upcoming PBS Banquet with a BBQ meal and musical entertainment provided by some fellow PBS members. Among them is Mark Baker who had the great second post on this subject!  You can wear whatever you want to the BBQ, jeans and a flannel shirt works, or maybe a bib?

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Dirty Bill, hey if it will    :help:    i am more than willing to pick you up and give you a lift.  i'll be coming up from VA. with my son (his first gathering).

there's plenty room in the bed of my truck for any gear you might need as long as Duane (Forester) isn't allowed to be involved in any drawings or raffles. he usually needs 2 or 3 members just to lug home all his winnings....   :biglaugh:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Dirty Bill, ya just never know.  I remember being at a banquet once, and we were eating breakfast, and Biggie had something on his plate that looked pretty good.  I asked "Ya gonna eat that?", and he said "Get away from my plate!!".

He wasn't very nice to me.

I'm trying to make up my mind between going to the banquet or going to Texas to shoot pigs.  Can do one but not both.  Decisions.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©