INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What is this worth? Snakeskin backed selfbow and Flint arrows  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Moebedda

• Trad Bowhunter
What is this worth? Snakeskin backed selfbow and Flint arrows
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I'm probably going to sell this stuff and wanted to get an idea what it's worth.  It was my dad's stuff.  I held on to it for about 6-7 years now and is basically just taking up space.  I want a 1911 so this might be able to put a few bucks in my pocket to put towards the pistol. I know he paid about $550 for the bow used.  The arrows he had custom made by someone at a barber shop in Flint, Mi.  The bow came from a bowyer in Michigan and it may have been the same guy who made the arrows, but I am not for certain. I believe this is a selfbow and it appears to me to be very well made.

What I know:
The bow is osage orange,  65#@28" built in 1991.  Hasn't been used a whole lot.  There are 8 Flint tipped arrows that are actually pretty sharp.  There are also 6 matching practice arrows.  It will also come with a leather fringed bow case, stringer, leather armguard and 3 finger glove.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is this worth? Snakeskin backed selfbow and Flint arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Made by Gary Davis (GSD).
Not sure about the arrows or points.
Nice set up.
Can you see or feel sinew under the snake skin?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Moebedda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Thats right!!! It is Gary Davis.  Thanks!   Yes I can barely see(outline) and feel the sinew under the snake skin. Let me be more specific.  I can see the outline of it under the snake skin, but it is very well finished that if you didn't look for it, you wouldn't notice it.

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
$350 for everything,too much draw weight for most people.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
The arrows were made by a fellow named Dale.I can't for the life of me think of his last name but I know he owned a barber shop in Flint and he also ran the Gonzo Bear Camp in Lake Gogebic in the U.P..Hunted with him a couple of times back in the late 80's and early 90's.I have a couple of arrows he made that I got from him in camp back then.Same style.If I think of his whole name I'll post it.Nice set.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
It is a fantastic set Derek. Move this over to the classifieds and put a fair price on it and it should sell for you. How long are the arrows.

John, I thought of Dale but I can't remember his last name either. It will bug me till I do.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Marvin I think your price is a bit low!
Look up some of the Primitive Archery (magazine)and Paleo Planet forums and you will probably get a better idea. That is a Very Nice setup......

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
m I stand by it-let us know what you get when it sells,good luck.Hope you get alot for it.

Offline Moebedda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
It must be Dale Gray who made the arrows then I am guessing.

http://gonzobearcamp.com/

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Bow definitely made by Gary Davis.  3-D means that there are 3 layers of deer (whitetail) sinew.  I recognize the bow and believe that I hunted with Gary while he carried this bow.

As for the arrows, Dale Gray is a barber in Flint, MI.  I don't know him but my friend Bob gets his hair cut by Dale.  Years ago Mr. Gray's barbershop was also an archery shop.  He still sells arrows from the shop.  The style and cut of the feathers look just Dale's style.  I would bet that they were made by him.  Don't know about back then but, currently Dale gets between $25-$35 per arrow with a stone point.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
That's it!! Dale Gray.Those are definitely his style of arrows,I still have mine here at the house.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
I bought my first new bow, a Red Wing Hunter from Dale Gray in the early 70s. It cost $36 if I remember right. The name of his barber/archery shop was the Hunter's Shack.

Gary Davis is a friend I have known for over thirty years. He has probably taught more people how to build selfbows than any other person in the US. I took his class and built a selfbow but decided that is an art better left to people much more talented than me.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©