INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Damon/Howatt Hi Speed ?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Damon/Howatt Hi Speed ?
« on: September 21, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
A friend just gave me an older looking Hi-Speed AMO 58", 45#@28". I'm assuming dacron only string 53-55", and brace height 7.5 to 8.75"? I really like the handle. The thing has glue residue from cloth camo tape and a few scratches. I tried a string off of a 58" longbow and twisted it up a little. Seems like a super smooth draw and the price can't be beat. I told him I'd try to get it setup and give it back if he wants it to start in trad. Hope he doesn't want it  :D

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damon/Howatt Hi Speed ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I think the Hi-Speed is a bow that will live up to its name...I like the older DH bows but because of my 30 inch plus draw length have always stuck with recurves 60 inches and longer, which for me means a Super Diablo to go with my Howatt Hunter...I would doubt the High Speed was ever compatible with anything other that dacron string material

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
DDave, does my guess at brace height seem right and do you have any guesses on string length? It does seem very zippy and smooth for a 45# bow with the crappy string I have twisted up alot on it.
Bob

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
8" is perfect for my Hi-Speed-definitely no higher. Shoot as low a brace height-with any bow-as possible to where the vibration and noise are tolerable-then twist up 2-4 turns and you are set.

String length of no shorter than 54" for an unstretched string. If one streches the string before final length determination than 55" length.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
thanks guys, will order a new dacron string after getting it cleaned up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©