INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Some guys have all the luck!  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Some guys have all the luck!
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Just had a guy walk through the door of the store with this.
Yep a Grumley with the stamp "Bear products by Grumley".
He picked it up at a garage sale for $1.00,
he says she didnt even know it was a bow.ARRRGGGG!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some guys have all the luck!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I paid $29 for mine and thought I did very well but $1!!?? Wheww Nice..    :bigsmyl:   Just shows they are still out there to be found. Bet your going to keep that one in the store.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
One of the benefits of being in a area with less trad shooters!!

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Wow! Thought I did good on a find today!

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
don't see it on the site yet ;o)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
I guess he did alright, I may have bought it for a dollar...

Ted, is that the one that I think it is?

-Brad

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
No Brad not the one you are thinking of , this is another.
Shane , not on the site as I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet, have to take care of my customer first and foremost.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Good to hear Ted!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Being a person of honesty, I would have told the yard saler what it was and how much it was worth, then offer to sell it for her on line.

Of course I think a little differently than John Q Public.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Eric, I did that when I found an original DaGrazia Indian  oil painting here in Michigan.  Someone had it at a yard sale for $3.00 .  I told them of it's value and they took it back into the house.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
It's not my story to tell but prior to coming to Raptor Archery the owner of the bow had absolutely no idea that it was worth anything when he purchased it at the sale, sheer blind luck.  

Don't fall when climbing down off of your high horses...

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Thats correct , they guy who bought it was just looking for a bow for his grandson, he took it to the local Portland compound shop to get a string , luckily the guy that owns the shop told him he needed to have me look at it before he did anything like that.
The lady that was selling it did not even know it was a bow , it was in a big pile of throw away junk.
Glad he saved it!

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eric Krewson:
Being a person of honesty, I would have told the yard saler what it was and how much it was worth, then offer to sell it for her on line.

Of course I think a little differently than John Q Public.
I grew up buying and selling antiques and I kind of take offense to your honesty comment.  Our family house which we built ourselves was funded by the sale of antiques. The tobacco chopper we bought in Nebraska for $10 and sold in Texas $200 helped put a roof over my head.  It is not an ethical or moral decision to buy a $1 bow. It's your purgative to offer to help an unknowing seller.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
I knew I would catch some flack for my comment. My way of doing things runs contrary to most folk. I make no apologies and don't feel I have a high horse to fall off of.

I follow the "Golden Rule", in case you forgot, you know the one that says "do on to others...", well, you all know the rest of the phrase or should.

Men without honor always despise men of honor and respond accordingly.

I see nothing wrong with buying an item for $10 from someone who knows what they are selling and selling it at a profit, nothing at all. Now, if you were buying a 18th century Chippendale chair at a yard sale for $5, knew exactly what it was and the seller didn't know what they had, that would scream foul to me.

With Ted's explanation there was no wrong done in this deal, thanks for the clarification.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I fell off that high horse a long time ago and that is why I am trying to do the right thing in my last years on earth.  As you get older you will understand.

My father passed away a couple of years ago leaving me lots of old (50's and 60's) archery equipment which was left over from his archery shop.  I have either given away or sold most of it at a very reasonable rate.  That is my choice to do and the receiver understands what they are getting.  There is an arrowhead collector that posts on here that I have given extremely good deals on some collectable heads.  Never met the man, lives 2000 miles away BUT always shows humble thankfulness in our dealings.

Remember the first thing you look at the beginning of your day is the mirror.

Thanks for the full story Ted.

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
is it for sale now that she knows its a rarity?

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I feel that it is morally wrong to judge a man and make assumptions without first knowing the facts.  That is exactly what has happened here.

No two ways about it.

It's a neat story, thanks for posting it Ted.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
At what point is one's conscience clear? And how do you know what you will get for the bow-could be 500 could be 1000?? Could have a big crack that does not show up till you clean some dirt off.
I like to take the high road; but I don't want to spend my time educating and creating monsters.   :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
To the seller, the junk was worth only $1. The karma is they didn't throw it out earlier. The bow was on sale for $1 for a reason. That's what the bow was worth to the seller.

Now, someone can enjoy what others found to be virtually valueless. Karma isn't interested in profit margin size. Both the seller and buyer got what they wished for in the transaction.

The bow wasn't stolen by someone, it was purchased at a garage sale. The entire point of a garage sale is that the seller has determined that he/she has all kinds of "stuff" that they don't want anymore, but for whatever reason don't want to throw out in the trash. From there, they offer items for pennies on the dollar in hopes that someone may want to take the item off their hands. Often, buyers frequent garage sales in hopes of finding a very good deal on on item someone else has deemed nearly devoid of value.

People don't frequent garage sales in order to inform a seller that someone out there may pay a premium for an item elsewhere. The point of going to garage sales is the pursuit of "one mans trash is anothers treasure".  

Don't ever feel bad about finding a deal at a garage sale. Be thankful the bow wasn't thrown out years ago.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
From a quick search on yard sale ethics...

Is it ethical to buy something at a yard sale or a flea market at the seller’s asking price if you know the value of the item to be significantly higher than what is being asked? Let’s say, for example, someone is selling an old comic book worth thousands of dollars but asks for only a quarter because he or she does not know the true value. Is it incumbent on the seller to do his or her research? If the seller does not, is it fair game? RYAN ATLAS, BOSTON

The operative word in your question is “true” directly placed before the word “value.” You suggest the “true value” of a specific comic book is a few thousand dollars — but all that means is someone might be willing to pay that much for it, based on extrinsic qualities (rarity, for example). To the person running the flea market, the “true value” of the comic book is virtually nothing. There is no “true value” for any object: it’s always a construct, provisionally defined by a capricious market and the locality of the transaction. Things cost what they are being sold for, and they’re worth whatever the seller can get. It’s unethical for a seller to knowingly take advantage of someone’s practical desperation in a crisis (say, selling D batteries for $75 a pack during a citywide blackout), but it’s not unethical for a buyer to accept whatever arbitrary value a seller places on his or her goods.

Look at it like this: Let’s say the person at the flea market was selling that same rare comic for $2,000. You, however, would be willing to pay far more than that; because of its sentimental value and the status it will bring among your comic-book-collecting peers, you’d gladly fork over $5,000. Would you feel the need to inform the seller, “You know, I’d actually pay you $3,000 more than what you’re asking”? I don’t think you would, and no one would expect you to.

Now, this does not mean it’s ethical to take advantage of people simply because they’re uninformed about the arcane details of modern commerce. If you’re visiting an elderly neighbor and notice he’s using a 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card as a bookmark for his Bible, you can’t casually offer to buy the card for $1 in the hope that he won’t know any better. You can’t proactively look for ways to swindle people. But things change when somebody decides to put a nonessential item on the market: the person looks at an object, creates an imaginary value for what it is worth and asks for the equivalent of that fabricated value in currency. If the number is too high, no one will buy it; if the number is too low, the seller leaves money on the table. But people don’t inherently deserve the maximum potential price for whatever they’re trying to move. If that’s what they desire, they have to get it for themselves.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©