INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Products Bow  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Products Bow
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Just picked up this bow today after over a year of waiting. I honestly thought that I would never get the chance to get this bow. It comes with a story that would make it one fine collector piece if true. I am leaving the story out as I am not able to go on anything more than the word of the seller at this point. The bow is 70" If anyone has ever heard of the first bows that Fred made for sale,and what book they are mentioned in; I would appreciate knowing.

Just noticed that someone shot the bow left also. Has a bit of red paint on the left side and arrow passing marks. Hard to get good pics with camera right now. Inspecting this bow very close with an occasional kiss ;o)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Products Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I have one that is similar, same tips side profile of the grip is the same

Mine is 62" and someone added a rest.
For what it is worth I heard the stamp broke and they did the writing by hand for quite a while.

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
I have one of those in the collection.  It is a mid forties bow to the best of my knowledge.  I have never strung mine up and probably never will.  It is the oldest Bear in the collection but I am always looking for a Bear Products by Grumley bow.
Brad Lehmann

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Brad, do you have any pics?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »
Bear Products by Grumley would have come after the bows above.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Just a note. The seller told me that Fred was having issues stamping when he first started. Wonder if anyone could shed some light on that.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
More pics

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Very cool.  It's always interesting to see these old ones
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Shane, does that bow have the arrow locator (inlaid hardwood circle) on both sides of the bow or just one?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
The bow actually does not have an inlaid circle. The circle you see is a small piece of leather about the side you would get with a paper punch laid on the wood. It's only on the one side

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
There is some information about the different years of Bear Products Detroit, Bear archery products, and Bear Archery, in the Fred Bear autobiography by Charlie Kroll.  I lent my book out, so can't look up the dates, but if memory is correct, Bear Products became Bear Archery in about 1939.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I need to get that book! Thank you

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
OK, I am a dope!   My brother figured out what the 33 is written on the limb. It's the measurement from tip to center of shelf.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Shane, I really think that is a coincidence. Can't think of a reason to make distance from tip to shelf an important number. I'm thinking the 33 refers to the #.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I strung the bow up today and shot it. On the scale it read  35#'s but could be off. It's the only time I will have shot it. I wouldn't take such a pole in the woods. Way to long for me. Just had to shoot it a few times. Itch gets the best of me every time.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Go ahead and tell the story of the bow, Shane.

It is folklore until verified, but folklore is great.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Ok Tony. I received this bow from a fellow TG member who is a big HH fan but has a major collection of many others. So he told me that Fred made 3 bows when deciding to sell publicly. One bow broke in the shop, one broke in the field and the one I now have survived. Supposedly this story is written somewhere, but I do not know where. So that's all I have. Wish I had more proof. The only thing I can think of is that the number 33 is etched into the limb. If Fred wrote that I am not sure that he would send out for sale. Other little things make me wonder but I just can't say for sure. So what I have been told is all I have. Not sure if the member I received the bow from will look at this topic as he doesn't frequent history and collecting, but rather sticks to pow wow and HH topics.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Someday the only way to verify all of the early bows may be a spectrophotometric analysis of the original bow finishes.
With all of the crafty refinishers out there busily re-writing history with art supply house pens this may be necessary for all future collectors anyway.
The "Bear Products" stamp on yours is evidence - not folklore - and the etched "33" bears further investigation.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
In my searches I have come across a very neat site that I think everyone would enjoy:

http://www.arctradionly.com/t2847-news-from-the-past

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Shane, that's a fantastic site!  I was amazed at the number of quality old pics and videos of trad archery history.  Thanks!!!
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©