INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: B Handle takedown  (Read 2074 times)

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
B Handle takedown
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
I just picked up a green stripe B handle take down (serial number B-3767) with two sets of green tip overlay limbs in #50 and #65. The riser is that marbled maple, just beautiful. I know it was made in Gainesville but can any one tell me the year? Thanks for the help.

There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B Handle takedown
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
was that the one on fleabay? I like the wood swirls.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Early 80's I'm thinking.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
No, not from the big site.

I plan on removing the stabilizer plug and I see that Bowdocs restoration 101 thread is gone. Anyone remember what he used to dye the epoxy to fill the hole? I plan on adding to the shelf radius a bit as well. This is the first time I have shot a Bear takedown and this is a sweet shooter that compares to some of my custom bows.

I agree, the wood grain is beautiful, more so than the new ones.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
From the serial num an early 1982
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
From an online conversation I had with with Don Ward 3 years ago about restoring and matching colors:
Don - I checked out West Marine online and found this kit from Evercoat listed for 39.99. Is this a good choice, or are there better deals?

Easily touch up your gelcoat with this convenient kit
Everything you need to make minor gelcoat repairs. Includes one ounce. premium gelcoat paste, six coloring agents, special release paper, hardener, mixing sticks, a blending chart, and instructions. Cures glass-hard in one hour. Permanently repairs nicks, gouges, and scratches in gelcoat.

Formulation: Polyester gelcoat paste and inert coloring agents
Includes brown, black, white, red, yellow, blue coloring agents, one ounce gelcoat paste, catalyst, mixing sticks
Drying: One hour

Don Ward's reply:
hell yeah Ton you nailed it down fast thats it evercoat.I use the colors and or sometimes the no resin but I also will mix the colors with smooth-on epoxy either will work but I kind of like the S-O a little better.You could also go to an art store and get those colors in a dry powder form which works well too.....but they cost around 12.00-15.00 per color little spendie unless you got a lot of holes to fill you da man this week bro thank you for posting the kit info you rock dude bd

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Also, I am looking for a set of Grayling white or green tip take down limbs in 60 lbs if any one has a set please PM me. Thanks.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
I couldn't resist, I lowered and added a radius to the shelf. What do ya think.
Also, what size bolt is the stabilizer insert? Thanks.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I like the shelf work, pm sent

Offline yearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
What is the point in adding more radius to the shelf?  How could it possibly make a feathered arrow shoot any better?  If you are just looking for less contact with a full shelf couldn't you just place a small piece of a wood or paper match under the rest or use a shorter piece of carpet on the shelf?  It does look nice though.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
A radius shelf promotes a cleaner release, simple as that. Why do you think they used feathered rests placed above the flat shelf? This bow had one of those funky plastic arrow holders on it when I picked it up. Both of those devices raised the arrow shaft up off the riser almost 3/8". On  Fred's personal bows the shelves were lowered to shoot off his knuckle and had a more extreme radius.

If the shelf is flat and all you put under your rug is a match stick to raise the arrow that is not enough fletching clearance for me.

The other reason is simply cosmetic, I think it enhances the overall appearance.

Offline Stormer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
Interesting comments.I often wondered why Bear Archery (grayling years) tested shot then produced thousands of bows with non radius shelves thinking there was no real advantage in arrow travel. Also same for early Redwing Hunter. I have a current B riser (Gainesville) with pretty much a flat 2.5" shelf using Rose Oak limbs and she shoots like a dart.
That sure is a nice green stripe riser I have a green stripe s/n B3331 I always thought was 82 so they are pretty close.
Regards.

Offline Subseapeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
I have a very similar green stripe bow I bought new in '82 s/n B-4240 that I still shoot regularly, though I still use a plastic arrow rest mounted above the shelf... Has worked for thirty years, why change.

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
I've been having much better arrow flight on my green-stripe since I put on a feather rest (interestingly there are some listings on the extremely big auctiony sites for a couple of Bear originals presently).

Lifts off at the ends though --- should have curled and formed the leather around a dowel first --- the shelf isn't as flat as it seems.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I have#3010. Not sure if it's 81 or 82 I also have #6333 which I do not know the year on.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Like what you did to the shelf, nice work. I have a green striper, B-6892 and have no idea what year this bow was made but would like to know? IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Highlife- I too have a green stripe from the 80's, had it since last year.  Interestingly it is serial #3558 and according to the gentleman I got it from he was the second owner and bought it off an older gentleman who had several  takedowns that lived in Florida.  According to him, the original owner bought it in 1984 straight from the Bear factory pro shop.  Mine has a radiused shelf like you did and it is supposed to have come from the factory that way.  Replaced the original limbs with Black Creek limbs before they went out of business.  Been hunting with it since last year along with some razorheads.  Still haven't taken anything with it but she sure shoots good.  If you do a search on the Bear B takedown risers you will see that there is some difficulty pinpointing an exact manufacture date.  Good luck with it.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
ECoast Archer,I have mine 45.. Still wrapped in the original box with the shipping date Aug  1982,bought it from the original dealer. It has the rubber Weather rest,the first years of the Green Stripe had the radiused shelf like Fred loved.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Cacciatore

Thanks for the info, was only relating what I was told.  The grip and low rest make it an awesome shooter.  By the way is yours a righty as I know you are a lefty     :D
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©